Slow epub display

Hello,

Is it possible to have epubs indexed but not displayed in the document viewer when selected? Their display in DT is extremely slow (maybe 20 seconds, half the time beachballing). It’s a real frustration when such a file in search results is clicked by accident.

Thanks.

Just curious, files on cloud (more specifically iCloud) or local hard disk? It’s seems to me that there’s a difference between the two.

It’s a local database on internal SSD.

How large is the file actually? I don’t experience any delays over here.

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), choose the frozen DEVONthink in the list of processes, select the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!

I’ve sampled CPU usage on files of 3 different sizes. Sending them to you now. The non-scientifically-measured delay in displaying the files are:

• 8mb epub : 3 seconds.
  • 16mb epub : around 10 seconds.
  • 76mb epub : more than 20 seconds.

Hi - was there any progress on this? I ask as I appear to have the exact same issue in that I have epubs in my database (locally stored SSD), but it’s very slow and beachball-y when I select them. PDFs by contrast are absolutely fine. M1 MBP 14".

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

When the application is stalled, do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor. Select our application in the list of processes - it should show “(Not Responding)” and the name in red - and press Command-Option-S to run a sample on it. When the sample window opens, press the Save button and save it to your Desktop. Please attach this text file to your Support Ticket so we can inspect it.

What’s the size of your files? The OP’s 76MB seemed outrageous for a (basically) zipped HTML. Many images?

Many thanks - file should be with you now (#344178)

@chrillek file sizes vary from less than 1MB to (in one case) 144 MB(!). But it slows right up as above for all of them (to varying degrees).

Do you select them after searching first? Then the alternate view is used to highlight & list all occurrences in the Search inspector & preview pane. This view is indeed a lot slower lower than the default view, especially in case of large EPUBs.

Not on a search; the epubs are all together in a folder. It slows up just selecting them (not opening them)

UPDATE @BLUEFROG. Epubs are not imported to database as previously stated. They are indexed from iBooks.
/Users/Username/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books

Are imported EPUBs faster than the indexed ones?

Have imported three epubs and they work just fine. Interestingly, when I then went to actually read one of the epubs in Books, it creates a duplicate at the same location as the indexed books (/Users/Username/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books), and selecting that brings up the beachball again.

So that would be a workaround (import rather than index). Seems like the issue is likely in the interface with Books I guess.

Does Books run concurrently, does quitting it make a difference?

Can confirm that large .epub files load very slowly in Text Alternative view. I have one such file (38.5MB, 6.3 million words) which is a compilation of 35 individual books. It takes more than 30 seconds (!) of beachball to open on my M1 MBP.

By comparison, another file (42.5MB but only 100k words) requires just two seconds of beachball. Therefore it seems the length of delay is decided by word count, rather than file size.

Opening individual chapters in the Best Alternative view is always fine, with little to no delay.

Both files are imported. Database is in internal SSD. macOS 14.4 and DT 3.9.6.

What about images and original vs uncompressed size?

Not having Books open makes no difference. The hanging happens just selecting them in the folder