Slow Synch

Is anyone having problems with slow sync between Mac and iPhone and iPad? 3 or 4 minutes on the iPad for a 6mb folder set and around 10 minutes to an iPhone. The iPhone often just gives up and throws an error. I can’t believe such a small dataset should take so long.

Any thoughts? Ta.

Yes. With a DB of about 6.5 GB the sync using iCloud from my Mac (which is where I do 95% of DT work) to my iPad Pro (next to most recent generation) is excruciatingly slow. I’ve been waiting at least 20 minutes and the pie slice progress indicator on DTTG has only made it from 12:00 to about 12:07 or so. I’m wondering if switching from iCloud to my LAN would be a better idea for syncing. The problem with that, of course, is changes away from the LAN. I don’t really go anywhere these days, so perhaps that doesn’t matter; all my teaching is online.

May I suggest you switch to or add bonjour syncing? Bonjour syncs via your own network rather than relying on a cloud solution. Obviously the DEVONthink handbook will guide you, but I did post brief instructions in this thread which was about a similar problem.

You can use both Bonjour and cloud sync if that suits your requirements.

Oh, and I’m sorry @kimaldis that nobody was around to answer your question in 2011. Have you, um, solved the problem? :smile:

1 Like
  • Have you tried quitting and relaunching DEVONthink To Go ?
  • Have you tried rebooting the iOS device?

Hi Blanc. Thanks for the suggestion. That is how I used to do the sync so, if it continues to be slow, I might switch back to that.

Hi Bluefrog. I honestly don’t remember when I did either of those two things. I will give them a try.

In theory using both should provide you with the best world (although I admit I am only using Bonjour).

1 Like

I’ve had an ongoing problem with sync being slow to start on the iPhone or iPad. I’ve got Bonjjour sync with a Mac as the server – no other sync methods – and sometimes it seems like I’ll be hanging there for a minute or more with DevonThink open and the sync bubble on the cloud icon, waiting for DevonThink to wake up and start syncing.

Lately it seems if I create or delete a file locally on the iPhone or iPad – whichever device I’m staring at – that will wake DevonThink up and it will start syncing. I create an empty text document in the inbox called “DELETE ME,” or delete that document if it is already present.

Previously, I had been killing DevonThink and restarting it on the iPhone or iPad, but I don’t know whether that made a difference. I have not tried restarting the iPhone or iPad.

Me, I just don’t monitor the time duration of synching. The two Macs and two IOS devices just do it. I tend to work only on one machine at a time, and when I do go to anther machine and that machine had been “turned” on, it’s sufficiently synched and if not it gets there while I focus on the stuff that is synced. Using Bonjour and Dropbox. I truly think the best thing to do is let the computers do their thing.

My most frequent use of DevonThink on the iPhone or iPad is to clip items from Safari and other Internet-connected apps.

I find DT does not sync in the background, so when I’m done reading, I open the app, see it import all the clips I saved, and then wait for it to sync … and wait … and wait.

As we all know, a minute staring at the screen waiting for a device to do something can seem like hours!

Me, I just don’t monitor the time duration of synching. The two Macs and two IOS devices just do it. I tend to work only on one machine at a time, and when I do go to anther machine and that machine had been “turned” on, it’s sufficiently synched and if not it gets there while I focus on the stuff that is synced. Using Bonjour and Dropbox. I truly think the best thing to do is let the computers do their thing.

This is actually the best policy for sure.

I’ll try the just-let-DT-sync-when-it’s-ready strategy. If the waiting kills me, you’ll be on the hook for felony murder.

Instead of only activating DTTG when you’re done with clipping activate it for some seconds from time to time to trigger the import of new items.

It feels like it’s speeding up the process.

1 Like

I swear I’m innocent, your Honor!
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like