Smallcubed Mailtags

Just a quick question. I’ve been using smallcubed mailtags for years (used to be Indev). They are overhauling their system with a complete change to their tags.

Is this something that DT will look to integrate on email import as they have with the existing setup? As I archive all my email in DT, this would be useful to know.

The announcement is here

We’re aware of this and it’s at least planned for upcoming releases (but right now Mojave has a higher priority).

Many thanks for the reply. As far as I’m aware Smallcubed’s release date for their mailsuite is the 15th October. I tend not to update my macOS until at least 6month after new release or the first 3 10.14.x releases so there’s no rush!

Can you tell me if there is any progress on this issue? My workflow is much more complex now than when the tags were included with the message :slight_smile:

The last time I checked this it worked as expected. Which version of MailTags and DEVONthink do you use?

Hi Christian,
I have the following running. I was experiencing the same with DEVONthink Pro Office Edition 2.11.3.

Devonthink 3 beta 6
Mailsuite Version 1.0.8 (1.0.8b249)

How do you archive the messages? If the plugin for Apple Mail is installed and enabled (see preferences of Apple Mail), then both the commands “Add to DEVONthink 3” in Apple Mail and View > Sidebar > Import in DEVONthink 3 should use the MailTags data.

I was dragging the messages into the sorter to be able to select specific groups to save the message into. I wasn’t aware of the “Add to Devonthink 3” option, but it adds a step in having to move the message from the inbox into the desired group. Testing with using the sorter, even into the inbox.

Is there some reason the sorter doesn’t allow for this?

Drag & drop just uses the dropped data which doesn’t contain the necessary information (contrary to former versions of MailTags).

So I guess this means that there is nothing that can be done from your end?

I import large numbers of e-mails each month & tags created in Mail Tags come across reliably using the method Christian describes

Bill

1 Like

Unfortunately I process email realtime, and have several email accounts so the import option doesn’t seem to be the way to go. The “Add to Devonthink 3” will add an extra step in moving out of the Inbox.

I am still WAY better off than I was earlier today when I did not know about the two options that do work.

Thank you Christian and Bill for weighing in. Hopefully Indev will make it possible to use sorter again!

John

You could enable the group selector in Preferences > Import > Destination or use smart rules to file the emails.

I stopped using MailTags (MailSuite) this past winter because tags were no longer appearing in DTPO…

I’m surprised to read here that the tags have continued working for at least some people… Is that correct?

For over a year, I had what felt like a great workflow with a combination of MailTags, Mail Act-On and scripts. I would go through my inbox, delete most of what was there, tag the important messages and fire them off to one of two folders inside Devonthink using keyboard commands. It was a fragile workflow and broke two or three times. But it felt right and worked for me. Then Smallcubed had to make major changes to this plugin because of Mojave… and then after a few more updates the tags stopped appearing altogether when sent to DTPO. This was true regardless of the method or script used to send the messages over.

It was a sad day when they stopped appearing… I gave it time, contacted support, and went into various forums looking for information… but a resolution didn’t seem close on the horizon.

Since then my goal has been to import messages into DTPO, as I did before, and do the tagging there. But the efficiency of the old workflow has gone away and so has my happiness with this system. It now takes two or three times the effort for the same result. Mail is piling up…

I am interested in any information on tags and mail and DTPO… and ideas on how I might reboot my old workflow. Does the new version of DTP make a difference with any of this? I reinstalled MailSuite yesterday, updated the app, and tried to sending tagged messages to DTPO, hoping they resolved the issue. But tags were still missing from the messages I sent over.

Lately, I’ve been reading about MailMate and the tagging feature available in that app… But I wonder if its tags remain when exported to DTP… Does anyone know? It might tempt me to move in that direction and away from Apple Mail if its tags work well in this way…

You have to install the plugin for Apple Mail and enable it in Mail’s preferences. Afterwards the commands “Add to DEVONthink 3” in Apple Mail and View > Sidebar > Import > Email in DEVONthink 3 should retain the tags.

I am not yet using Devonthink 3…

The plugin was always installed in Devonthink 2.11.3 - the DEVONthink.mailbundle

Do you know about MailMate’s tags?

There’s no dedicated support for MailMate yet.

Thanks for reply about MailMate.

Question: Is there any difference (or should there be any difference) between Devonthink 3 and Devonthink 2 with regard to importing tags and/or support for MailTags?

The best way to look at it is: Any improvements going forward should be considered to be referring to DEVONthink 3.

Bonjour,

I did all that but I see a problem relating to diacritic characters being displayed like this: “=?iso-8859-1?Q?=40Re=E7u?=” which is the French for the word Reçu which means Receipt in English. Reçu being correctly displayed in MailTags but not very helpful in DEVONthink 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
MailTags used is version: 6.0.14