Smart Group in a dataabase searching through all daatbases?

I have a smart group tax-2018-19 containing mostly documents from the databases General, but a few documents from the the database Computer. So I would like to sit this group in my tax tree in the General database.

But somehow the documents from computer do not show up for me. The Search in entry “Databases” (note the plural s!) doesn’t seem to be available…

Is there any way to create a smart group in a database showing documents from all (open) databases?

You need to set up a global smart group at the navigate sidebar in which the scope can be all databases.
The smart group within a database can only search records within the database.

I can think of two possible options to achieve what u need:

Option 1: to set up smart rule in navigate bar search for the files in other databases and to duplicate the found files to your ”general” database.

Option 2; If you really don’t want to duplicate files, consider to save those files in finder’s folder. Multiple databases can index to the same finder’s folder. Then you can access the same set of folders, or any combination of folders, from any databases.

Wow, option 2 is really creative thinking! Thanks for the tip.

Just a shame that in-database smart groups can’t do the job directly. Shouldn’t be too hard to offer there the same Search in options as on the top level…

Just a shame that in-database smart groups can’t do the job directly. Shouldn’t be too hard to offer there the same Search in options as on the top level…

There is a clear distinction between local and global smart groups.

• Local smart groups are for in-database searching.
  • Global smart groups are for searching all open databases (even if they can target a single database).