Smart rule multiple location and grouping

Hi All,
I found this to happen as I am setting up smart rules in DT3:
I have so far 5 DBs because I need separate classifications to happen.
I have to duplicate rules multiple times to make them work on multiple DBs because there is always that coupe DBs where the rule does not apply. is there a way to run a rule on multiple but not all databases?

also, is there a way, alternatively or in parallel, to create visual folders for smart rules? now they are all just there in a bunch, I can just reorder them.

is there a way to run a rule on multiple but not all databases?

No. You can target a specific database or all open databases.

also, is there a way, alternatively or in parallel, to create visual folders for smart rules?

No, but this is planned for a future release.

1 Like

What is the best method for setting up multiple “Search in” locations for a Smart Rule?

I have a Smart Rule whose criteria I want to apply to several locations across my database. (The rule will replicate a group’s contents to a particular “quick links” group.)

Do I need to create a separate Smart Rule, with the same criteria, for every group location to which I want to apply the rule?

[Sorry. I didn’t intend to “reply” to a particular person. I couldn’t figure out how to change that once I’d done it.]

If the locations are in the same database, then you could replicate them to a new group and search in this group.

If I understand you correctly, this would seem to negate the reason for the particular Smart Rule. If I (manually) replicate them, then there would seem to be no need to replicate them using the Smart Rule.

How would (or does) the smart rule actually look like?

You could set up a smart rule pointing at each group but @cgrunenberg’s suggestion wouldn’t negate your intention.

Here the two groups have been replicated to one group - Search here. Now you can target that group and effectively search only those two groups in one smart rule.

Ahh!! Now I see. The visual helped my tiny mind :exploding_head: grasp the concept. Thanks to you both!

You’re welcome and sometimes a screen capture just makes things obvious :slight_smile: