[SOLVED]: How to move custom metadata to tags?

Dear,

I am currently trying to change my way of handling and storing information with DT.
Currently, I have created a lot of structured custom metadata - like this:

image .
In order to simplify my approach, I want to move all of this information to simple tags, as it would not matter whether a certain number is an account number, a customer ID or a document ID.
Is there any approach to this?
Thank you for sharing your ideas or thoughts,
regards

Connor

The only possibility is to use AppleScript. But by switching to tags you will lose a lot of possibilities, e.g. searching for a certain type of custom metadata or changing the custom metadata easily via smart rules (without accidentally affecting other custom metadata)

Is there any possibility to choose “all custom metadata” instad of naming each single field?

You are right - but unfortunately, I cannot access the custom metadata via DTTG, but tags would be accessible. So maybe a switch to tags would not be right, but at least a duplication to have the information together.

This isn’t possible. But you could also use smart rules actually:

You can add the desired placeholders to the tags field via its contextual menu. Don’t forget to press Return after each placeholder to ensure that each of them will become a tag (and not one long concatenated tag)

This would be great - last silly question: Where do I find the “contextual menu”? I can see the intelligent rules that look a lot like what you suggested, but what are you referring to?

Create a new smart rule via the contextual menu of the sidebar, then change the action to Tags hinzufĂĽgen and finally use the contextual menu of the text field to the right of this action (the one containing %shortDate% on the screenshot).

Thank you for your clarification. The issue was (once again) located between the ears :smiley:

For anyone having a similar request: remember that the placeholders are inserted by pressing control and clicking in the respective field.

And should you walk that path it might be helpful to define some kind of content indicating that this respective object has already been tagged this way.

Thank you - it was a pleasure :wink:

Regards

Connor

2 Likes

You’re welcome.