Stop indexing group! (A smart rule disaster)

I think I really broke it this time :unamused:

I have a smart rule that tidies my desktop. Works great. Take all desktop docs, move them to this group in desktop.

I forgot that finder aliases, and everything within them, are indexed in DTā€¦

Setting up a new machine I made aliases of both machines Applications, ~/Library/Prefs, ~/Library/App Support, and user home folders and put them on the desktop. (So I could quickly drag and drop from these folders as needed.

So devonthink has now tried to move everything in these folders into this Tidy Desktop group, a dozen timesā€¦

The DT database still opens, but everything Iā€™ve tried to do with these groups causes DT to beach ball and I force quit after 10 mins. I just want to delete/stop indexing them.

Iā€™ve disabled the smart rule to stop the bleeding. What would you recommend to do next?

EDIT: I see in other threads a recommendation to Trash ā€œOnly in Databaseā€. So thatā€™s what Iā€™m trying, but it beachballs immediately upon offering the pop-up. And I canā€™t make the popup go away by clicking, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s registering my ā€œOnly in Databaseā€ click

I would trash DEVONthinkā€™s preferences so itā€™ll launch with no open databases.
What else is in this database?

After force quit it launches with no open databases.

This database is my ā€œMac Archiveā€ database. Iā€™m guessing ~50GB of old docs in indexed folders, not synced. I say guessing because I had to force quit again, the beachballing was effecting other apps.

Screen shot of trash

I can open the database and see this without beachballing. It even verifies with just ~10 errors (missing docs)

It looks like only ~1GB of docs were actually duplicated.

Just canā€™t empty the trash without what seems like permanent beachball.

A system reboot (and kernal panic) seems to have resolved it, I was able to empty trash.

Is there a way to disable or change the functioning of aliases? This isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve accidentally indexed much more than intended due to aliases. I think of them as ā€œpointersā€ to other docs, but DT treats them more like the document itself.

No, this is automatically handled.

I think of them as ā€œpointersā€ to other docs, but DT treats them more like the document itself.

They are still pointers to other docs but DEVONthink will resolve the aliases, including aliases to folders.