Strange behaviour recurs in the graphical interface

I already faced those strange behaviors. Not every time. App does not crash but not sure everything is fine :

Which version of macOS and DEVONthink do you use? Anything special about your system, e.g. third-party extensions or enabled accessibility options?

Hello Christian,

Sonoma 14.2.1 and DT 3.9.1
Sometimes it happens. Sometimes not.

No third party extension afaik and no accessibility options activated.

The current version of macOS Sonoma is 14.3. You should stay current with the operating system and our point releases, especially with how buggy Sonoma still is.

Hello,
Updated to 14.3
Yestederday and this morning was fine.
This afternoon, again :

Update :
Just quit, launch again
now screen is black in DT.
reinstall app → hang
Is there a possibility to create a log file again for you to analyse what’s going on?

I need to check again how to backup myriad of files / smart rules etc…

• Is this a fullscreen window?

• You sound like you’re having bigger issues with your Mac.

• Why did you reinstall? That would have removed critical data for troubleshooting. Reinstallation should not be something you try early in the troubleshooting process.

When the application is stalled, do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor . Select our application in the list of processes - it should show “(Not Responding)” and the name in red - and press Command-Option-S to run a sample on it. When the sample window opens, press the Save button and save it to your Desktop.

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket and attach the stall report.

Nothing works nor full screen nor windowed.
Windows seems like “transparent”

I do not have any other issue with my Mac. Only DT hangs/stalls. This is the second to third times it happens. It seems the databases becomes corrupted.

Because I’m actually working and have to be sure I do not lose any file.
And don’t even know I can log something like you describe

I 've tried to install reinstall same problem. Unable to launch
I had to use “app cleaner” then brand new install,

Now DT can be launched but I’ve lost smarts rules etc. Just need to check if everything else is okay

Unable to do that because UI does not exists anymore.

If DEVONthink is running you should be able to use the bug reporting function.

Also, databases don’t spontaneously corrupt for no reason and we don’t even know they actually were corrupted somehow. There’s no data for us to examine and assess, hence the request for you to open the support ticket.

You are right. Nothing is sure.
I was not aware activity monitor was able to record something I can share.

Not sure if the DB is corrupted or not.

But in this case I was unable to use Devonthing menues because of black screen then transparent windows with no menu etc.

With this problem I discover some thread about backup and sequential backup. Arq 7 seems fine. Will test it and buy it.
It seems easy to backup all my databases but really it is painful to find where and what are others files to backup to not lose some plist and others files. Will search in my previous backup.
Any advice appreciated.

If it is only the DEVONthink databases you wish to copy elsewhere you can use Finder without having to buy Arc. Or use TimeMaching which you should have already.

This is highly abnormal and we have no other such reports of this behavior, hence my comment about the possibility of other issues on your Mac.

In the Finder, select the ​Go ​menu while holding the ​Option key​, then choose ​Library​.
Go into Application Support and back up the DEVONthink 3 directory.

You can also step backwards to the root of the Library and back up the Preferences directory.

You are right. in this case I absolutely can’t remember what where are myriad of files I need to backup and or restore. Edit → solution comes nest reply I usually use CCC with the whole HDD backup. But some files (plist and others things) are store somewhere.

What I do appreciate about Arq is you can send directly encrypted files in Onedrive etc

Now I’me afraid. This is not the first time it happens and really I can’t understand. Need to investigate,
Will try to save all the files if it happens again

Seems easy but can’t remember when I need it :slight_smile:
Don’t you want to implement some kind of autosave / auto backup and restore feature ?? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As noted in the Getting Started > A Word About Backups section of the built-in Help and manual, backups are the responsibility of the individual. There are bespoke applications that are developed specifically for this purpose, including Apple’s Time Machine built into every Mac.

Anything beyond that in DEVONthink would have to be assessed by development along with 23,634 other things on their list of things they could do :wink:

4 Likes

You are right
I have to admit I can manage this and prefer you to focus on other things

Anyway I do really really appreciate this piece of software used for years!

And we are glad to hear it’s been useful to you all this time! :heart: :slight_smile:

1 Like