[suggestion] OPT-⬆︎ to navigate to enclosing group in View section

Here is a suggestion that I think will help those who want to live life as much on the keyboard as possible - I know I would certainly appreciate this.

To get everyone on the same page, I am referring to the main interface elements as Sidebar, View, Preview, Inspector.

In the View panel (that is the Finder-like list of groups and files you get to with CTRL-OPT-CMD v) it would be handy if I could navigate from a file to its enclosing Group with OPT-⬆︎ when viewing as a “list”. Then you could make CMD-⬆︎ as the “go to top of list”. Currently both OPT-⬆︎ and CMD-⬆︎ takes us to the top of the list.

This movement I am suggesting is analogous to OPT-left/right arrow which takes you to the beginning or end of the next word, while CMD-left/right arrow takes you to the beginning or end of the line.

Why might this be useful? Because I can do this:

1. Work on my file inside a Group while the View panel is in list mode.

2. Finish working on document. Shift focus to View (CTRL-OPT-CMD v).

3. OPT-⬆︎ to move to enclosing Group.

4. ⬅︎ to close enclosing Group, navigate to the next Group above or below.

Since Devonthink3 remembers whether Groups are open or not, this also soothes my OCD for the next time I open the database!

Thanks again for the most used app on my Mac!

Sounds exactly like Go > To Enclosing Group, its shortcut can be customized via the system settings.

I have indeed done that. It, of course, is a command for the Sidebar, not the View panel. Hence it is always greyed out if the focus is on View.

Only if the view already shows the top level group of the database.

But simply pressing the left arrow key might be what you’re looking for in List view, this selects the expanded, enclosing group. And likewise the right arrow key expands the currently selected, collapsed group.

Ahh, then there is a misunderstanding. When I say “enclosing Group”, I mean not the top level group but the one immediately under which the file is.

That is, it’s the “directory” of the active file.

Untitled

Scratch all of that!

The LEFT ARROW key does the movement as you described. A little non-intuitive but it works, and quickly allows me to close that folder too with ⬅︎⬅︎.

You guys have thought of everything!

Thanks!

That’s how it works (and has worked for years) in the Finder as well. :slight_smile:

LOL yes, I have discovered something new!

I have to admit that I don’t spend a lot of time in the Finder (I always call up a terminal where possible).

1 Like