Summarize Highlights as Markdown mixes annotations and notes

When adding a note to a highlight in a PDF there are two distinct columns when using “Summarize Highlights as Sheet” (the Annotation the column with the highlighted text and a Note column with the user-added notes):

When using “Summarize Highlights as Markdown” is used (I’m using the Quote highlights option) the annotations and notes are using the same formatting: they’re both preceded by "> ":

> This is a highlighted line
> And this is my comment

> Yet another highlight

> Highlight 3

When disabling the Quote highlights option (using the *{== … ==} formatting) the note is on a separate line directly beneath the quoted higlight

* {== This is a highlighted line ==}
And this is my comment

* {== Yet another highlight ==}

* {== Highlight 3 ==}

It would make sense if in the first Markdown format the comment would also be on a line without the preceding "> ". That way it’s easier to visually discern highlights and comments. Would that be possible?

EDIT: it also goes wrong with multi-line notes and quoted higlights, because the first line is preceded by a "> " - while subsequent lines are without a "> " - making the first line render as blockquote in HTML, but not subsequent lines.

Can you post a screen capture of the last comment?

Quote highlights:

Without quote highlights:

I think the second one also renders wrong. I’d say it needs an extra newline before the first line of the comment

The next release will improve this.

1 Like

Thanks. It would be great if it could be with an included newline (doesn’t change rendering, but improves readability):

> Higlighted line

Comment

I’m much starting to look forward to 3.8.4 :smiley:

That’s actually the way I changed it :slight_smile: