Summarize Highlights as Markdown on toolbar?

Is there a way to get this option to appear in the toolbar? I use it constantly.

Thanks.

IIRC summarise highlights is scriptable since v3.7; so you could write a small script and add that to the toolbar. There’s no other way which is apparent to me.

summarize highlights of v : Summarize highlights of records. PDF, RTF(D) and Markdown document are currently supported.

summarize highlights of
  records list : The records to summarize.
  to markdown/‌rich/‌sheet : The desired format.
  [in [record] : The destination group for the summary. The current group of the database is used if not specified.
  → [record]

Thanks!

No problem; can you/do you script? If so, perhaps you’d post the result here for posterity. Otherwise once I’ve done the ironing (yes, I’m serious…) I’ll see what I can produce :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I have not tried to create a script. I’m sure I “could”, but I haven’t. If you are finished your ironing, I’d love it if you could whip one up! :slight_smile:

1 Like
# summarise highlights of selected records to sheet/markdown/rtf
# to summarise ALL selected records to ONE summary, comment out the lines "repeat with" and "end repeat", and replace "summarize highlights of records {thisItem}" with "summarize highlights of records theSelection"; as it stands, one summary will be created for each selected record.

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set theDest to missing value
		-- set theDest to get record at "/Group/Subgroup" in database "Database" # uncomment this line by removing "--" if summaries should be directed to a specific group, using "/group/subgroup" in database "database"
		set theSelection to the selection
		if theSelection is {} then error "Please select records to summarise."
		repeat with thisItem in theSelection
			-- set theDest to incoming group of current database # uncomment this line by removing "--" if the summaries should be directed to inbox of database containing the selected file
			# if theDest is not set, then summaries will be saved next to originals
			summarize highlights of records {thisItem} to sheet in theDest # or use "markdown" or "rich" instead of "sheet"
		end repeat
	on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

Copy and Paste that to Script Editor, and save to /Users/yourUserName/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3/Toolbar; use a short, to-the-point name such as “Summarise”. Restart DT if it was open when you saved the file to the Toolbar-folder. Once done, right-click the toolbar and select “Customise Toolbar”; your script should be listed, and you can drag it to your toolbar.

6 Likes

Perfect! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thankyou for posting this @Blanc - really useful!

1 Like