Support for textbundle format

CriticMarkup is supported in DEVONthink 3, due to its inclusion in MultiMarkdown 6.

RTF(d) is a mature, standard format widely used across platforms. Does that mean I like it? It’s meh… but it serves its purpose for many people.

Markdown, despite the appearance of being super-popular, still is nowhere near the adoption of RTF or even (ugh!) Word. Though the niche is growing, Markdown is absolutely still a niche format.

Markdown is excellent but RTF still has it’s place as you can’t easily define font and layout characteristics across the document (font used, size). But if that’s not needed and all you need is a simple format version, MD is great. As a bonus it looks decent even in a text editor.

But if that’s not needed and all you need is a simple format version, MD is great.

Interesting. I prefer Markdown because I can create complex documents. :slight_smile:

For technical documentation MD is great. A lot of my spare time documentation work has to do with translation material where the original material has to be preserved (font sizes, other markings) and where I constantly have to invent tags and other signatures for using MD for dual-language documentation/translation archives. For example, I have to use code blocks to present the original language.

Interesting! I use it for support as well as long-form writing and journaling. The journaling uses a hyper-custom (and beautifully evolving) stylesheet, which is a ton of fun to mess about with.

It’s indeed best to keep Markup or the new extended Markups simple, otherwise we end up with something like Latex which is beautiful but a language by itself. Now, most Markups support HTML tags so that’s another cop-out to extend the format.

1 Like

CriticMarkup is supported in DEVONthink 3, due to its inclusion in MultiMarkdown 6.

Erm, yes… but compare the workflow to marking up & annotating PDFs.

On the desktop yes – but not on the web. Next to any contemporary CMS out there supports it, quite often as default. Major web-based productivity platforms (with the notable exception of Google Docs): dito. Besides, plain text is the only sane and future-proof archival format for any kind of text content.

On the desktop yes – but not on the web. Next to any contemporary CMS out there supports it, quite often as default. Major web-based productivity platforms (with the notable exception of Google Docs): dito. Besides, plain text is the only sane and future-proof archival format for any kind of text content.

You are still talking about a niche market here. Even in our user base, there are many people who aren’t doing “web work” or using a CMS (let alone knowing what that is). Many know and rely on common formats like RTF for its familiarity and longstanding support and usefulness to them.

Markup is closest to a pure text file format with some additional markers that could either be ignored or easily stripped away if needed.

Markup

?

I ment Markdown. That’s what you get when you are busy packing your office for a move to another location…

:slight_smile: I figured as much, but since markup is a legitimate thing I wasn’t sure.
Have a safe move!

Another +1 here for textbundle support. Bundling immutable assets (such as images) inside a simple markdown-based folder format would be desirable and solve a number of problems. The suggested workflow of creating a custom folder/group structure every time is a PITA, even if it’s automated with a template.

For example:

• start writing in a markdown document, then realize you want to add images
  • look up how to do this on the forum (either because it’s the first time or you haven’t done it in awhile)
  • run script or manually create folders/groups
  • import the image to the correct folder/group
  • create image link in markdown file
  • test to make sure you did all the manual steps correctly
    —this is a lot of administrative overhead with room for error when the purpose is managing knowledge.

TextBundle would also be a useful format for importing, for example as an alternative to .webarchive. I prefer to use markdown much of the time for importing articles, but that means images have to be manually downloaded and inserted into a folder/group structure.

Then there’s the need to keep everything properly organized in the folder/group. Want to run classify? Nope… need to move everything manually.

Etc. etc. TextBundle seems like a good solution to a series of problems if the desire is to not work in RTF. It abstracts away the management of the tool so that energy is spent on management of knowledge.

(see also: Markdown as first-class citizen & networked knowledge )

2 Likes

The suggested workflow of creating a custom folder/group structure every time is a PITA, even if it’s automated with a template.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment, especially as I do it daily and have for almost two years, simply and efficiently.

PS: textbundle is still not widely adopted.

Yes, for sure! You are not wrong. The point isn’t about textbundle. The point is about discussing ways to have our energy as users go into knowledge management, not “DEVONthink management”.

TextBundle is one possible technical solution to a broader workflow problem. You have your way - and that works, and that’s excellent! And there are also other potential ways DT could evolve that might be faster, easier, simpler and it’s good to discuss them as well.

PS: you often mention adoption rates in your replies—is that a metric Devon Tech uses for adopting new tools? Just curious. It might be an interesting insight to understand what data you use as you evaluate new features: where you get your data from, how you decide about innovation vs. user requests vs. going with what’s already got some wide adoption etc. Might make for an interesting blog post? Or maybe something like this exists already? It could help guide discussion about new functionality.

Development would have to assess if they want to respond with any specific internal data regarding such things.

On the simple side of things, we are not programming an application for one person or perspective. Time and energy are in limited supply, so yes we have to assess the feasibility but we also have to determine how broadly reaching the changes would be, i.e., how many people would benefit from this.

How to sync the markdown file with images between multi Mac or iOS with DEVONthink sync. Will the folder sturcture keep the same? or How to keep the relative path for image file?

Welcome @Tonny

The group structure is preserved between machines when you sync.

1. I create an assets folder under a group, and drag an image into assets
  2. In the file system, the image pkm1.png is under png/9/pkm1.png
  3. I can use the image with a relative path as ../../png/9/pkm1.png

This works so far. But, when I trying to sync to another Mac with dropbox sync enabled, the real image path changed to another one. ../../png/3/pkm1.png in this case.

Is there anything wrong with what I’m doing. Or, is there a better approach.