Support for textbundle format

No, you should not be linking to the file in the file system - and not just in this instance.

Unless instructed to by us, you should never be getting into the internals of a database as you’re doing here.
And you should never be linking to files in the internals of a database.

You treat the Markdown just as you would any HTML structure.
This is covered in Help > Documentation > Documents > Markdown Documents > Linking.

So, the correct link in my case should ![](assets/pkm1.png)?

This works for sync between Macs.

But another problem is If I use the link ![](assets/pkm1.png), This broke the third part markdown app. For example, I try to open the markdown with Bear, the image disappears.

That’s the reason I search and found this thread. Textbunder may be a solution here.

So, the correct link in my case should ![](assets/pkm1.png) ?

Correct.

Other solutions would be needed if you’re using external Markdown editors. However, again, you should not link to files in the internal structure of a DEVONthink database.

It would be possible to keep assets in a folder in the Finder for linking in an external application, but indexing that folder into DEVONthink (if needed, though in this instance I don’t know if it would be needed).

PS: Remember that DEVONthink offers the ability to create and edit Markdown documents internally, as a convenience to the user. The focus isn’t on making it interoperable with editing in third-party Markdown editors but allowing for the creation and editing and syncing of Markdown documents withing the DEVONthink ecosystem. There are deeper technological considerations if we were to focus on external compatibilities in this regard.

Sure. I understand how it works now. Thank you for the explanation.

So:

1. I could use subgroups to organize images for markdown, and it works great within DEVONthink, includes sync.
  2. I could put images in anther folder outside DEVONthink, and use the file path in a markdown file. And It works very well in both DEVONthink and some third-party markdown apps.

Yep - you got it! :slight_smile:

I would also love to have TextBundle/TextPack support in DT3. The benefits of not seeing every single embedded image file in the folder structure are the same as for word, pdf or rtfd files.

The format is not widely used today, that’s true. But all my main Tools support it: Ulysses, Marked, Mindnode, Wordpress (iOS) and even Multimarkdown Composer seems tu support it.

I know of people disliking markdown as it does not store the images like other formats and that it is the main reason why they don’t use markdown.

1 Like

which is why in another thread, I argued for more robust RTF support in DTTG a few months ago. Having learned markup now because my primary day to day use of DT is on the iPad, I’ve noticed that many other IOS MD editors do support textbundle as a means of encapsulation and interchange of MD documents. It would sure be nice to see it in DT as well.
+1 for this request.