Support org-mode notes basic preview(org-mode like Markdown)

Really love DEVONthink.

Org-mode’s syntax like Markdown, work in Emacs editor. Maybe not popular(because Emacs is too hard to learn), but almost all org-mode’s users is note-taking professional, they lack a good editor can sync and preview on iOS, and more important is that they can find the value of DEVONthink, so would be the potential user.

Org-mode file is as plain-text in DEVONthink now, poor for reading.

It would be greater if DEVONthink can support org-mode preview, basic preview support is enough, like heading preview (h1, h2, h3… Markdown start with ‘#’, but org-mode start with ‘*’) and hyperlink preview ([[httpXXX][Weekly topics - DEVONtechnologies Community]] this is org-mode style link format).

It seems that only need modify a little regex code for parsing Markdown file can support basic org-mode preview, would not take developer too much times, but this is really helpful, convenient, significant and qualitative change for org-mode user.

Please consider support this feature, thank you!

There are some other org-mode user posts:

• “Best Alternative” for Org mode files - DEVONthink / Tips - DEVONtechnologies Community
  • [org-mode (emacs) support - DEVONthink / Feedback - DEVONtechnologies Community
3 Likes

Welcome @Ripple

There have not been many requests or much interest in support for this, but the request is noted.

would not take developer too much times

Actually, this is impossible to assess and things which seem trivial are very often far more difficult.

1 Like

As someone who indexes a growing amount of org-mode notes (I like to keep as much within DevonThink as possible!), I heartily vote for this feature.

Point (with an eye to future implementation): Github already does this (see https://github.com/github/markup/issues/186), and Hugo (a popular static website generator) has a plugin for it (see https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo)

Counterpoint: As pointed out though, it is not a trivial task at all, there are … numerous edge cases in rendering Org generally, and it might not be worth implementing this until “document markdown apps” (iAWriter, Marked, etc.) embrace rendering org-mode.

Also, since OP missed “linkifying” the related posts, and I can’t edit posts, mentioning them here:

1 Like

until “document markdown apps” (iAWriter, Marked, etc.) embrace rendering org-mode.

But why would this implementation in Markdown apps even be considered?

1 Like

Right, I meant to say it was unlikely: I should’ve said “until other apps support org-mode rendering too”

(fyi: I care much more about it being “all indexed together”, so I am very happy with how it is right now)

(fyi: I care much more about it being “all indexed together”, so I am very happy with how it is right now)

Glad to hear it!

FWIW I came here today to see if/how people use org-mode files within DT.

I’ve been setting up a cross-platform “Second Brain”, where DT plays a part on my macOS/iOS devices. My Second Brain is a mixture between Zettelkasten/P.A.R.A, but I have also an “Inbox” where I only store .org files, which basically shows me my daily/weekly/monthly todo list and also a calendar-list view (i.e. not a full-blown calendar) so I can see what is scheduled for today.

When I tried to describe my solution to a friend I realised I told her by the end of it that “actually, if you are ‘only’ on macOS/iOS you could just use Devonthink, as it can handle everything in my set-up, within the same package, EXCEPT for the .org files and also except the auto-backlinking. The rest DT already does: wiki-linking, unique file ID’s, encrypted data, all file formats etc”. That also had me thinking: “hmm…I can’t be the first DT user who thinks this, can I?”, so I went here to have a look.

The thing is, as .org files in general are “just plain-text files with a predictable syntax”, and also has a very limited feature-set, I figured if there wasn’t something official (plug-in, or script etc), there might be something user generated. I have yet to find it, but still wanted to chip in that this would be a great feature indeed, especially as things like P.A.R.A, Zettelkasten and Second Brain seems to be all the rave in PKM’s right now.

DT wouldn’t even need the “full” editing suite for org-mode, but if there was a way to view/interpret/style the .org files it would be very helpful indeed. Also, most of the functionality is, as stated, already in DT so I would have guessed it wouldn’t be a complete re-architecture of things, but more like added functionality for those who would wish for it. If it was a plug-in feature set for purchase as an add-on, I would purchase it.

4 Likes

I like to second this. I think it would very nice to be able to view .org files with appropriate styling in DT.

Noted but as you can see, it’s not a highly requested feature.

Only because I didn’t think there was a realistic chance of it being implemented… But seeing as you mention it:

Having DT preview org-mode files would be one of my favourite additions….

“Preview” as in “show me the text”? That should be possible by adding ‘.org’ to the file extensions recognized as text (see hidden preferences in the fine manual).

“Preview” as in “show me an overview via Quicklook” - see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/hd77xw/macos_quicklook_support_for_org_files/

“Preview” as in “treat it in DT as MD and HTML with a preview and an edit pane” – I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Rendered live preview, of course :grinning:.

I’ve had .org recognised by DT3 for several years by using defaults write, and QuickLook has produced the exact same representation of .org files as it does for .md files for a long time. It works for quick scanning of contents.

I don’t have the skills to amend the plugin you linked to (thanks…).

Clearly, turning DT into an org-mode editor is unlikely to happen (no other editor than Emacs has managed it…) but being able to see the rendered version of an org file would be useful in DT3 without first having to export to HTML in Emacs.

I can think of two obvious reasons why this won’t happen: it’s technically very difficult or impossible, and/or DT3 don’t think there’s enough interest in it.

I can only influence the second of these… :wink:

1 Like