SVGs in DT3 and DTTG

If I see that correctly, SVGs are not displayed, neither in DT3 nor in DTTG.

Why’s that? And if I’m correct, it would be great to have support for them. :smile:

SVG is an XML version – do you want to display the XML? Or do you want to render it as graphics? For which one needs a dedicated SVG viewer or a browser.

They display for me in DT, but without the ability to zoom; in DTTG I just see the raw XML, though there I’m on an older version of the app.

The one I have doesn’t display here. Interestingly, Finder shows a Quicklook preview, DT doesn’t. And instead of the image, I see only a gray placeholder in DT. My samle is basically just an img as a data URL.

I see the image in Best Alternative view, the XML in Text Alternative. (Side-by-Side isn’t available.)

Interesting. These entries in the “View” menu are disabled here when the SVG is selected. OTOH, I can use “Overview” (Cmd-Y) to display it correctly.

On further experiment, it seems to be dependent on the creator app. SVGs created by OmniGraffle display only as images, but can zoom; SVGs created by Hyper Plan offer both views, but can’t zoom; SVGs from other sources don’t display at all.

Perhaps there’s such a thing as an embedded thumbnail? I have no idea, never using SVG except for a single favicon – and that’s a glorified PNG.

1 Like

I think the main use case is displaying them rendered as images (like binary JPEG files are rendered to images too), but of course DEVONthink could show them additionally as text in the text view.

Yep, that’s the SVG viewer I use for my SVGs as well - it’s a great one!

My SVGs don’t dispaly in DT (nor in DTTG) in the document window: The just show up as a black canvas, but QuickLook (both in Finder and in DT) show it perfectly.

The reason for this is, I guess, that some of my SVG capable apps (e.g. Gapplin) install a QL plugin…

For me SVGs created by Inkscape are not displayed in the document view, but SVGs created by Graphviz are.

The whole situation is confusing and a bit dissatisfactory, isn’t t?

Is the file extension always the same? Any example files?

Yes, it is always *.svg.

Sure, I attach a zip with

• Base-classes.svg, a file created with Inkscape (by wikimedia)
  • spread-states_trans-as-nodes.svg - a file created with Graphviz (by myself)

HTH!

SVGs-for-DEVONthink.zip (10.2 KB)

Plot-thickeningly, both of those display perfectly for me (offering both Best and Text Alternatives). From further experimentation with OmniGraffle and Hyper Plan, I think zooming was a red herring – both can zoom in from the default but not further out, which I imagine is a general limitation with this format.

Which version of macOS do you use?

Ha, that was the right question to ask: in Catalina, both display; in Sonoma, neither!

The next release will fix this inconsistent handling.

2 Likes

Here my experience:

In Monyenery: Both SVGs display.
In Ventura: None displays.