Sync DEVONthink with Dropbox folder

I’ve imported some Dropbox folders into a database in DEVONthink. Now whenever I add, delete, or change a file in that Dropbox folder, I would like the same change to take place in my DEVONthink database. How do you do that? I have gone to Preferences > Sync and have added a Dropbox location. Now when I click sync it says my Dropbox location syncs. But if a make a change in the Dropbox folder, and then press to have my Dropbox location synced, the change does not appear in DEVONthink. I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

I do have Dropbox Smart Sync enabled, but the folders I am trying to sync are local folders.

I think I now see part of my problem. Clicking “sync” is used to sync the DEVONthink database on my mac with my Dropbox DEVONthink location, where a copy of my DEVONthink database is stored to be used on another device. But how do I keep my DEVONthink database on my mac in sync with the Dropbox folders I have imported?

You need to read up on “indexing” in the DT manual; that should answer your question.

That’s not completely true, but not really false either. You are describing a sync store; whilst that does contain the data in your database, it’s not a true copy of the database file. But anyhow, as you have yourself determined, sync and indexing (which is what you want to do) are two quite different things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try File > Update Indexed Items, does this update the database as expected?

Ah. You are assuming the OP actually has indexed the folders, and is incorrectly using the term imported. Good thinking, Batman.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve switched from importing to indexing.

Have you read this" Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing, especially the Indexing and the filesystem section?

This is a must read, especially if you’re indexing items in cloud-synced locations.

2 Likes

Yes, I did, after being directed here to the indexing/importing distinction. Appreciate the help.

1 Like

You’re welcome and I’m glad to hear it.
Indexing is a good and useful technology, but it should be carefully thought through.

Is it possible to sync up and use on iPad a database that has directories imported from Dropbox or OneDrive? I have such a database on the mac and I seem to sync it ‘successfully’ on iPad but no files appear …

Yes, though the documents in those locations have no relationship to the documents in those cloud-synced folders as imported files are copies.

What sync method are you using?

I am using a Dropbox cloud store.

The problem I have is as such:

• I have a Dropbox directory let’s say ‘books’
  • I import, index it etc on the mac into a dedicated database
  • I sync the database via the mentioned store into the iPad
  • the sync appears fine but no files are actually displayed in DEVOnthink to go

Note: I have Dropbox app, synced on the iPad also

Tap the View options button on the bottom toolbar and disable any active filter. Do you see them then?

No, no difference.

Also, how is it supposed to work? I mean on the mac the files are residing on Dropbox and they are not part of the database as such. But after I manage to get this type of database synced onto the iPads Devonthink ToGo are the files copied into the Devonthink ToGo storage on the iPad also? Or does it work the same way like on the Mac and the files are stored only once on the actual Dropbox location?

But after I manage to get this type of database synced onto the iPads Devonthink ToGo are the files copied into the Devonthink ToGo storage on the iPad also?

Yes. They are copied into the internals of the DEVONthink To Go database.

Or does it work the same way like on the Mac and the files are stored only once on the actual Dropbox location?

Nope. DEVONthink To Go cannot access a foreign filesystem or files outside it’s domain.

OK, thanks. This clarifies things but on other hand makes things a bit more complex: do we have documented a detailed description of the the files and directories (groups) operations in this case. For example, what happens if I move a directory on DEVONThink To Go or create a new file etc.

Also, one of my use cases was the use of company confidential files that cannot be taken out of OneDrive: I have successfully setup a database on top of the files of interest and worked successfully for a while but based on what you say, if I sync this database with the mobile devices it will take the files out of OneDrive and store them locally on the device. Is this correct understanding?

Sounds like the file has already escaped from OneDrive.

Ah, no. Now I am only running tests with own files (books) stored on the FS on Dropbox. I did not yet setup the database with OD files for sync :slight_smile:

1 Like

do we have documented a detailed description of the the files and directories (groups) operations in this case. For example, what happens if I move a directory on DEVONThink To Go or create a new file etc.

No, there is no whitepaper on what is happening in the internals of a database in DEVONthink To Go. It is no place anyone should be getting into, even if it was possible.

Also, one of my use cases was the use of company confidential files that cannot be taken out of OneDrive: I have successfully setup a database on top of the files of interest and worked successfully for a while but based on what you say, if I sync this database with the mobile devices it will take the files out of OneDrive and store them locally on the device. Is this correct understanding?

It will not take the files out of OneDrive. However, a copy would be stored in DEVONthink To Go on the mobile device. This would likely be a violation of your company’s security policy.