Sync isn't working properly

OK. Reading is one thing. Doing is another. Good luck.

This isn’t a blame game or passing the buck. iCloud, CloudKit in specific has been problematic and unreliable for many users and developers for at least nine months or more now. There have even been developers who have stopped offering CloudKit options in their applications. There are things within our control and things outside our control. Apple’s servers and CloudKit specifically are not in our control. And yes, every release we attempt to make adjustments to hopefully improve the situation, but we cannot improve what Apple needs to address.

2 Likes
  • Are you on a VPN?
  • Have you read the Bonjour Simplified post @rmschne linked to?

Yes, I am following the guide. It is very simple; disabled bonjour on the iPad and enable it on the Mac (server). “incoming connections: Available” on the mac. I don’t have VPN; never had. Connecting the cable makes no difference.

@ cgrunenberg had analysed the report I sent at some point (DTT3.2). He said ios is shutting down DEVONthink because it thinks it is over-consuming resources. And, he promised an update will fix it. But, my problem has never been fixed.

I have been having problems with iCloud Kit in Devonthink. I finally discovered that I can restart the device and it will sync the next time I open it. I wish I knew if this was an Apple problem or Devonthink problem. I tend to think there is something going on with Devonthink because all of my other iCloud Kit apps are working fine.

because all of my other iCloud Kit apps are working fine.

Your other iCloud applications are not using the same mechanisms nor are they doing the same things as DEVONthink. Many developers have or are considering abandoning CloudKit due to the lack of reliablity in the past 9 months or more.

I tend to think that it’s an iCloud problem because DT syncs just fine with (e.g.) WebDAV here. Whereas not even Apple’s own apps are syncing reliably or fast with iCloud

3 Likes

I use Bonjour sync with DEVONthink and it works great. I also use the default iCloud sync with Keep It, Notebooks, and all the Apple products (Notes, Photos, etc. and I never have a problem. So as much as ICloud sync gets criticized here, it just works for me. Horses for courses.

I should have added that I’ve used CloudKit sync in DEVONthink before, with no problems. I stopped using it because I no longer need remote sync.

I was prompted by this post to check whether my sync was working. Nope. Great. Why does iCloud work for everything else on my iPad/iPhone/MacBook setup and not for DevonThink?

1 Like

Nobody but Apple knows, apparently. Probably hundreds of posts here already on Apple’s cloud services unreliable. many other developers are abandoning it. Simple syncing seems to work but DEVONthink has more complex syncing. Search the posts here.

Good question. Works great for me here, but apparently others have a different perspective. If iCloud sync is consistently a problematic issue, I would expect that it should be discontinued rather than left to speculation?

Which developers are abandoning it?

All services have bugs but one as important as iCloud will, I assume, be extremely high priority for apple to fix since it’s a system service and relied on by so many.

If iCloud still has lingering bugs then what’s the story- are apple refusing to fix it?! What have apple said about whatever the bug is that’s breaking our Devon think experience? Which third party developers are also suffering from these same bugs?

Well, I don’t know, but reported here by people I trust their insights and they probably don’t want to say. They are part of a community of professional developers from which to gain those insights. I’m not in that community. But I do see the topic discussed in other forums for other apps that I routinely use that have the same sort of complex sync requirements as DEVONthink.

You are right to be skeptical about my assertion. I would be. But I’m happy to re-report what has been reported in this forum many times. Search here for those comments by the DEVONthink staff.

That being said, it’s clear that Apple’s iCloud and CloudKit are unreliable for not only DEVONthink but some other apps. If you are keen to research this you might find discussion in other forums via internet seraches.

Me, I am more interested in making synch work with DEVONthink and it works for me by avoiding Apple’s iCloud and/or CloudKit. I’m putting no effort into finding blame or forcing something on DEVONthink developers. Have other things to do.

1 Like

Apple is known for not talking about bugs in their software. Nor about security risks. They’re one of the worst in this respect. Also, it’s not necessarily a single bug breaking sync but network issues, bugs in their software etc.

Vaguely related, there’s a broken scripting method in Mail on MacOS. The bug is there since ages, it’s documented (not by Apple, of course) but they don’t fix it. There’s the “distance” parameter in one shortcut mapping call that does nothing since years, but they don’t fix it. Just two obvious bugs Apple cares s**t about. Why would they care more about bugs elsewhere?

2 Likes

I have 3 computers/phones, My MacMini (always on home network), MB Air (on the home network unless I am traveling), and my Iphone (all over the place). They are all on the same home network, when I am at home.

Will a home network connection (Bonjour) work or be the best connection for syncing?

I’ve spent some time today trying to verify your assertion. Sadly I’ve failed.

The iCloud problems I can find have largely been single-events and have been addressed quickly. I can find no reports of ongoing unreliability of iCloud/CloudKit.

MacRumors keep a tagged archive of iCloud articles that seems to chronicle its history pretty well.

Here is one major event which was over a year ago and was quickly addressed

I can’t find any commentary on any developer forums suggesting iCloud is unreliable or problematic as in not living up to its specification.

I’m a registered Apple Dev so I’ve also searched any release notes or articles I have access to for this kind of information.

I’ll keep trying.

I’ve spent years shovelling defect reports around and some stuff you just don’t address because it isn’t important. A high profile service like iCloud/CloudKit is leagues more important than a broken scripting method in Mail.app.

Darn. Evidence to show I am wrong yet again. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :wink:

(I do not use it so I have time for other things)

1 Like

I’m fairly sure we all want the same thing- which is for DevonThink to sync properly with iCloud/CloudKit. I assure you my interest is in finding out exactly what the Apple bug is that’s causing all these problems. It isn’t to argue with anyone on a discussion forum.

As we all know, on a forum like this it’s easy for a few users to get amplified and make “the dreadful icloud problems” sound much worse than they are in real life.

I’m still no nearer to finding out exactly how Apple’s software doesn’t behave correctly.