sync issue with dropbox

I have a number of databases that are set up to sync over the new dropbox sync. All but one work perfectly. With one database, though, I can sync to dropbox on my work computer, but when I try to import that database to my home computer (using the Import Database function in the Sync preferences), the whole program crashes the second the sync starts. Anyone have the same problem/know how to address it?

I’ve had the same thing intermittently when using Dropbox for sync. Most recently, syncing the Global Inbox would crash one of 2 Macs.

I’ve since given up on using Dropbox and just leave DEVONthink running on my desktop Mac and schedule regular syncs between that and my Air. Works fast and flawlessly so far. I just try also to remember to hit “Synchronize All” before I leave for the office.

Thanks, I guess I might try Box.net and see how it handles it.

One issue is that the program crashes before anything’s written in the log (at least as far as I can tell), which makes it tricky to troubleshoot.

Regardless of the Sync failure, please send the crash report to our DEVONtechnologies Support Ticket System. Thanks.

Bluefrog, will do, probably tomorrow. I assume it’s the Apple crash report you need (or is there one internal to the DT log that I don’t know about)?

The Apple one to determine why it’s crashing.

For the Sync, try the Sync operation again AFTER following these instructions…

To enable logging, type the following in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and restart DEVONthink:

defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebug -bool YES
defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebugHigh -bool YES

This will log more detail to your system log, which can be viewed in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

After you’ve attempted the Sync, open Console, type “DEVONthink” in the filter field in the upper right-hand corner, and copy and paste ALL of the window’s contents into a new text document. You can send that along too if you’d like. Thank you.

Thanks, I submitted a ticket with all the crash reports attached.

Full disclosure, the database that’s giving me trouble is one I used to sync ‘manually’ over dropbox (i.e., it was located in a dropbox-synced folder). It’s possible that the error is due to that, rather than something that’s wrong with the new sync functionality in DT.

If you can’t wait until the crash is sorted out you might try to transport the database from home to work by means of an external drive (e.g. a USB stick) and sync it with the dropbox store after opening it on your home computer.

As the database can be devon synced with dropbox from your work it is not probable that your troubles are caused by that database having been dropbox synced.

However, it opens up a third possibility to set up the devon sync at your home computer (besides importing from the dropbox store and transporting with an external drive): copy the database on the dropbox-synced folder at home to a convenient place outside dropbox, open it, do a ‘verify and repair’ followed by a ‘backup and optimize’ and sync it with the dropbox store.

I’ve submitted the crash report and console report. In the meantime managing this way:
Direct sync machine 1 <-> machine 2
Dropbox sync machine 2 (where Dropbox sync doesn’t crash app)

I guess it’s belt-and-suspenders, but I want to be sure I have a relatively up-to-date sync on Dropbox as well.

Should I be doing anything else?

Sync to Dropbox was working well until last software update (2.5.2). Now when I try the scheduled sync with Dropbox (daily) DTP freezes in mid-sync and I have to Force Quit. It appears that I can manually sync with Dropbox. Any suggestions about how I can get the scheduled sync working again?
Thanks as always,
Diane

Diane:

Please submit a new log when the scheduled Sync fails to see if its us or Dropbox. Thanks.