Sync not working for some documents

I have set up a sync via dropbox between my MacBook and iMac.
Documents which I have scanned into my Devonthink database synchronise ok, but those which I have added via the Print/Save pdf to Devonthink Pro, sychronise as blank documents (zero bytes, no content). The full documents are present on my MacBook, but appear as blank documents on my iMac after sync.
My Devonthink database is in the documents folder on both machines. I have run verify and repair and backup and optimise on both machines. I have also removed all ‘conflicted copy’ metafiles from both database packages.
I would welcome any suggestions. Thank you

I would use Tools > Rebuild Database… on the main database and reSync it to the other machine.

I would use Tools > Rebuild Database… on the main database and reSync it to the other machine.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am doing this now. It will take a while as it is syncing the entire database again. I will report back when it is completed.

I have a secondary problem:
Syncing the entire database takes several hours (I have a relatively slow Internet connection) and the sync activity stops at intervals. The activity window closes and when I reopen it, it shows no activity. I then have to restart the sync. I noticed this problem when I first synced my database, but it disappeared once the first sync had been achieved.

This sync failure problem is persisting. I keep getting log messages:

17:52:51: Sync: Home → (null) (Dropbox) The operation was cancelled.
17:52:51: Sync: Home → (null) (Dropbox) not found ({“error”: “File not found”})

I have run ‘verify and repair’ (no errors found) and ‘backup and optimise’, but the problem persists.

Any further suggestions?

Did you do the Tools > Rebuild Database?

Yes

I would create a new, small database, less than 100MB, and attempt to Sync to DropBox and also to the other machine to see if this is isolated to the problem database.

Please try the Sync operation again AFTER following these instructions…

To enable logging, type the following in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and restart DEVONthink:

defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebug -bool YES
defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebugHigh -bool YES

This will log more detail to your system log, which can be viewed in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

After you’ve attempted the Sync, open Console, type “DEVONthink” in the filter field in the upper right-hand corner, and copy and paste ALL of the window’s contents into a new text document. Start a Support Ticket at our DEVONtechnologies Support Ticket System and attach the document to your reply. Thank you.

Yes, I will do this. Many thanks for your help.

No problem. We’ll be looking for your ticket.

Thank you. The issue has now been resolved

I had this problem at one point. What was the solution in the end?

I installed a Sync Plugin Internal Beta, which enabled me to identify a couple of files which were not syncing. Removing them from my database allowed the sync to proceed

Without disclosing private information, what type of file were they?

They were text files, but in fact were empty.

Interesting. It looks like a have a few files with 0 size also, mostly from imported websites. That should be enough info to find the bug in the sync.

I seem to have the same problem here. Any indications on what to do?

All the best

Manuel

When you use DropBox as a data container before the DevonThink 2.5 version, when you use differents Macs adressing, one after the other, the same database, this database becomes more and more corrupted with time.

html or text files names continue to appear in your lists but with nearly no size (some hundred bytes). If you open them, you will see that they are empty (the content has disappeared).

If you have a look to the content of your database, you will see metafiles (.dtMeta) in confictual situation .

If you do not delete these conflictuel .dtMeta files and if you do not delete or rebuild the .txt and .html files, you have no chance to sync.

Tipically, you will have a message explaining that a file is empty (content = null), that the sync has failed, that it has no more internet access, and so on… :neutral_face:

So backup your data first and then delete what is corrupted followin these instructions (Arnow is the author) here: