Sync smart groups?

How do I get this onto my iPad?

You can’t. The comment was related to a DEVONthink-only comment. Local smart groups aren’t support in DEVONthink To Go at this time.

Is there a way I can find date specific info in a database on DT2G?

Not at this time, no. The closest is the Recently Modified and Recently Viewed global smart groups on the home page. Nothing more granular than this right now.

Bump - feature request -> Smart group sync from DT3 to DTTG

1 Like

Hi. Newbie question: I’m as well very interested in this feature. How does it usually work with DT feature requests? Is there some kind of voting and/or transparency about progress?

Hey Jochen - no, there are no votes, and no transparency in that sense. Requests are generally acknowledged by the DT team here, who to me appear genuinely interested, often ask additional questions, but virtually never promise a feature. I feel without concrete evidence that a feature commonly requested has a greater chance of being implemented than one which appears to be an individual solution. But obviously there are technical aspects too.

We do know DT is working on a significant update to DTTG, although there is no public roadmap (a fact which has been discussed ad nauseam in the forum), so patience is required :wink:

3 Likes

Hey, there do smart groups ie: Favorites sync yet? and how do you set it up?

Favorites don’t sync between DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go at this time.
The Reading List does.

1 Like

I’m still really keen on syncing of smart groups with DTTG. All my documents are organised into smart groups, so without these on DTTG it’s one long list of files, which makes things unworkable unfortunately.

Thank you, does the entire database that the documents are included in need to be synced, or does it sync as the “reading list.” For example, I only sync my inboxes, but if the document is in another database, will it sync anyway when I add it to the reading list?

There will be an entry in the Reading List but it will point to a file unavailable to DEVONthink To Go.

Thank you

You’re welcome.

Hi. Is there still no progress here after more than 4 years of discussion? I would also like to use smart groups in DEVONthin To Go.
Many greetings from Munich

No this is not available at this time. As you can see, many things have changed in the past four years, just not this particular feature.

Something similar can be done using a smart ruler instead of a smart group. You can assign a label as a result of the rule and then search for it in DTTG by putting label = 1 ( or 2,3,4 … ) in the search field. Using it will often appear in recent searches. You can also assign a tag and then search for it in DTTG. Not ideal, but it works

1 Like

A workaround, but the main feature is still sorely needed!

It’s been over 6 years…can smart groups in Devonthink sync with DTTG yet?

Smart groups have always synced between DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go. They’ve just been hidden since they’re non-functional.

Supporting smart groups isn’t a simple matter as the underlying technologies between DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go aren’t the same.

Also, the moment synced smart groups from DEVONthink are functional, what’s the immediate demand we’ll get? “Why can’t I edit the smart groups in DEVONthink To Go?!” and “Why can’t I make my own smart groups directly in DEVONthink To Go?!?”

This requires UI modifications that aren’t trivial to implement on mobile, especially on small form-factor devices. Also, certain UI elements aren’t available on Apple’s mobile platform. So finding a third-party framework or having to develop our own is required.

Yes, not much use if they’re sync’d but non-functional! Maybe Devonthink and DTTG need to become a bit closer. Apple is generally moving towards making OSX and iOS more compatible.

Smart groups are my main way of organising files, and I doubt I’m alone in that. If they’re not functional in DTTG it makes DTTG a bit redundant, at least for me.