Sync stuck at `1 items left to be uploaded`

Same problem here (“1 items left to be uploaded” popping up every two minutes after upgrading to 3.8.3 on macOS 12.3). Besides from switching to another sync store - is there a fix?

1 Like

FYI, Apple was having major system outages yesterday. Could this be an issue for you?

Apple’s iCloud and CloudKit is very unreliable for some. Have you tried another third party cloud service or Bonjour?

No problems with any other iCloud based sync (iCloudKit) or iCloud Drive. As mentioned I haven’t tried another third party cloud service as I’m looking for a fix, not an alternative.

Oh. I guess some of us want to find ways to make DEVONthink work and focus on working with it. Others report problems and only hope for fix. Probably good to engage Apple about their service also.

2 Likes

In my experience, iCloud is an unreliable beast (in both its incantations). I’m still seeing photos and music not being uploaded or downloaded and files on iCloud Drive stuck somewhere between here and the next wormhole or even some other universe. Seriously, I would go for any synchronisation but this crap.

1 Like

Sorry if my reply came across too direct, it wasn’t my intention to scoff at anyone.

My main point is that iCloud is offered as a reasonable sync store option. If DT would not deem that iCloud is good enough or should be expected to work at all, it should probably consider not offerring it as a viable option at all. I understand everyone has different preferences (e.g. I have phased out Dropbox from a privacy perspective) and there’s pros and cons to every option. And even, as @chrillek points out, maybe iCloud has more problems than others (not my experience). Because of a single bug (in my case, others might experience more problems) I don’t directly focus on swapping out everything for a different alternative.

I have had these problems and here what worked for me. I turned off sync of all databases on all devices and then I cleaned the sync store. Then turned on the sync one database at a time on one device at a time. It is a little time consuming but it worked.

1 Like

You clearly have some valuable and important insights about Dropbox and how, perhaps, DEVONthink treats the encrypted files they drop on Dropbox are more risky (my words) from a privacy perspective (your words) than on Apple’s iCloud/CloudKit.

For the benefit of those still on Dropbox, or considering using Dropbox vs. Apple’s iCloud/Cloudkit, can you provide some specific evidence of where Dropbox’s privacy controls are not up to your expectations?

This could be very important and certainly enlightening for those people not aware yet of those concerns and insights you have.

Thanks.

One of my considerations with Dropbox is their built-in full-text search option which always analyzes documents stored in the cloud, compared to Apple’s approach of doing metadata creation not at all or on-device (e.g. face detection in Apple Photos). Leaving Dropbox was not specifically related to DT. Anything that is encrypted-at-rest (as DT databases can be) can be left at any (cloud) storage.

For anyone looking for a privacy-friendly option, cloud-storage should not be considered at all, unless you have full ownership (options such as Nextcloud, Syncthing or others). This at the same time brings other considerations regarding security (are you able to protect it well enough versus the privacy gain?)

Weighing what matters to your regarding privacy, security or cloud versus self-hosted are mostly very personal matters these days - balancing your own preferences.

I am just adding my name to the list of users affected by this phenomenon. As another poster suggested, I’m going to turn off sync of all databases, clean the sync store, and turn on sync one database at a time. I’ve learned my lesson from my previous post that DT is the messenger and not the root of the issue. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

UPDATE - I heard back from Jim at DT, whose recommendation I now see was also suggested early in this thread:

This revealed a random test RTF file from 2020 ( !!! ), just a few days after I purchased DT. I was able to delete it, and now the “pending file” error is gone. Hoorah!

[ Original post ]

Exact same issue here, which also started after 3.8.3 update. I just emailed DT Support, before finding this thread (I looked, but missed it the first time!).

If memory serves, when I switched to CloudKit, I had no warning of pending items.

I just ran Verify & Repair, which did locate 5 (not just one) missing indexed files. I took care of them, but the issue persists.

If that’s the case, how do we get rid of the warning, or delete(?) the “pending” file (which sounds like it probably no longer exists)?

Like others, this log error doesn’t give any clue as to what it is:

On my side the issue seems to have cleared
itself after a day.

1 Like

I have problems with missing manifest files now. Maybe iCloud is a little unreliable at the moment. If I would also start syncing via Bonjour would this possibly help?

iCloud is reported to have problems again.

1 Like

Ok, maybe the best approach is to hold off with the troubleshooting and wait for the reliability issue with iCloud to be solved.

If you have unlimited time … iCloud has had problems from the beginning and they‘re haunting it till today. Maybe you should rather think about using Bonjour to sync.

1 Like

Matter of priority I guess. If you want to wait for Apple iCloud to work reliably, then fine by me but perhaps like “Waiting for Godot”. If you absolutely need synching and want DEVONthink to sync to other devices, perhaps try alternative sync methods.

1 Like

Hehe, I don’t want to get into a discussion about what service works best :smile: For me iCloud has worked ok. The problem with Bonjour is that it doesn’t function when I’m at work. However, maybe using iCloud and Bonjour side by side is a reliable option.

1 Like

I’ve learned over the years that I don’t really need synch while “on the go” as there is nobody at my Global HQ (home) using DEVONthink that needs absolutely up to date versions. Will always catch up with Bonjour and WebDav when I return. I accept that method doesn’t work to download files not yet downloaded to DEVONthink ToGo, but no big deal for me as that need hardly ever happens. I do have my relatively small “WIP” (Works in Progress) database and the Global Inbox synced with Dropbox which is a third party internet-enabled server and it has all the reading/writing stuff that I would need “on the go”. Works for me.

2 Likes

I use the mobile devices for “capture” mostly and then when I arrive at work I “process” on my Mac. Therefore Bonjour only would be a little inconvenient. However, I know that Bonjour is really good if that setup is suitable for you.