Sync with Dropbox?

I am using Dropbox as a local sync.
I don’t understand why I have to constantly allow Dropbox to access it’s own folder.
What happens is a browser pops up and asks “DEVONthink Sync would like access to it’s own folder”. “Apps>(the name of the folder, inside your Dropbox.” And then I need to Allow it. I would think that if I allow it once, I wouldn’t need to do it again.

Any thoughts on how to use Dropbox more effectively?

Odd that you set up a “local sync” on Dropbox. Really? why not just setup. Dropbox sync location per the way describes in the “DEVONthink Handbook”. Or have you and this just an erroneous explanation of the situation?

An incorrect explanation of the situation on my part. I apologize for that. Within the Sync tab within preferences, I misread the title for the box called “Locations” as local. I tried my best to follow the “DEVONthink Handbook” when setting up this sync. And it is syncing.

The issue is that Dropbox is asking for access, too many times. I am hoping that someone could concentrate on that issue. And offer suggestions on how to have the connection last longer.

I am noticing on my two Macs that the system “forgets” these security and privacy permissions. i have not found fix. sometimes fixed with reboot. I suspect a problem in macOS. i have not seen it with Dropbox.

Have you given Dropbox full disk access?

1 Like

I just checked. And Dropbox needed Full Disk Access. I just clicked that box. I hope that solves the issue.

You shouldn’t have any local sync data on the machine.
In the Dropbox application’s preferences, you should have excluded Dropbox’s Apps/DEVONthink Packet Sync folder from syncing.

This seems to be an issue of the latest Dropbox SDK and the handling of Dropbox access tokens, we’ll investigate this.

1 Like

I sync my Alfred and Keyboard Maestro applications through Dropbox without any difficulties (repeated permissions). Maybe look into how those applications do their syncing.

But probably won’t be applicable because the applications are so different.

Just thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Apps like those you mention indeed are doing things very differently than our sync engine. Their method is simple single file transfers. This can be seens as just automating the copying of files for you. DEVONthink has much more data to handle, including making sure its recordkeeping is accurate.

I’m experiencing the same issue(s) as well with Dropbox sync.

Welcome @gadgetgeek

It appears Dropbox’s authentication tokens are expiring very quickly.
Development is working on this for DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into this. Much appreciated!

1 Like