Syncing and leaving the app

OK, a small question but one I’ve wondered about.

In DTTG, if I edit a document and leave it, the app will start syncing… sometimes this takes a few seconds. If I leave the app before the sync is complete (i.e. return to the home screen, not force quit the app), will DTTG continue to sync in the background? Or should I wait to leave until it is done?

It will. At least until i(Pad)OS decides to kill it. But then the next sync will simply resume.

So it sounds like this works fine, normally, as long as iOS isn’t feeling ornery, but the “safest” way to sync would be to wait, so DTTG still is in control. (Or am I just overthinking this?)

That’s indeed the safest option. Otherwise the sync would resume the next time you’ll start DEVONthink To Go or when its background sync will be triggered by i(Pad)OS.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have DTTG automatically open to the foreground periodically during the day so a sync is initiated.

If I setup a Shortcut to open an app on a schedule, Shortcuts requires that I acknowledge the event each time before the shortcut is actually executed; that limits its usefulness.

Pushcut server gets around the notification issue but requires that its app be run continuously; that only works for a dedicated Pushcut server but not for a phone in actual use.

Does anyone know a way to set a schedule for DTTG to open automatically without any user intervention?

iOS automation isn’t like macOS’. You’re going to be forced to answer, “Do you want to do this? Really?? Are you sure???” from iOS. For Apple, this makes sense from a security and battery perspective.

1 Like

That is what I thought - that’s a bummer. Would be so helpful if I could set DTTG to open every night at 2AM or whenever so it can finish syncing when the phone is not being used for anything else.

ould be so helpful if I could set DTTG to open every night at 2AM or whenever so it can finish syncing when the phone is not being used for anything else.

I’m not against such a thing but I think Apple would disagree with you on that :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: