Syncing between iOS devices but not Mac

Syncing is not working between my Mac and iOS devices. But it works properly between those devices (iPad and iPhone).

All devices indicate syncing – I suppose to iCloud – but only the mobile devices talk to each other.

I’ve reviewed all the settings I can find, verified databases, checked for updates, etc. It used to work, but it seems something changed. I did get a new M1 macbook pro running Monterey.

What else should I do please?

JS

Syching is not between devices. It is between a device and a “server”. What sync service (server) do you use? Bonjour? Dropbox? etc. Check all setup the same. Full documentation in the “DEVONthink Handbook”.

1 Like

Thanks, I understand that. I use icloud legacy, and I’ve re-read the documentation more than once. I think I’ve done it right. I’ve been using DT successfully for about 10 years, but this stumps me.

The mac syncs to icloud (as indicated in Preferences>Sync.) The ipad and iphone both sync to icloud, and reflect changes correctly. To be clear, if I add a doc to the iphone it shows up on the ipad but not the mac. If I add a doc to the mac, it doesn’t show up on either the ipad or the iphone.

FWIW, if I select a new database on the iphone (that is, a database existing on my mac but not previously synced to the iphone) it shows up correctly on the iphone, but any further syncing between mac and iphone fails.

JS

• Is there anything reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?

• Is there a triangle on the sync icon in DEVONthink To Go’s bottom toolbar? If so, touch it and tell me what it reports.

Hey, just to check: you have used iCloud legacy on all devices (an didn’t make a mistake and set up iCloud Kit when setting up the new Mac)? Sorry if that’s a really dumb question - it seems almost too obvious.

Thanks all, this might look really basic, but having let it sit overnight, I find everything working as it should. I didn’t change anything. Bluefrog: no triangles or log items. Blanc: yeah, that would be my kind of mistake but not in this case.

I’m going to chalk it up to gremlins in my remote snowed-in mountain copper-wire internet service, and exercise more patience next time.

JS

In David Attenborough’s voice…

“Under the snow-laden boughs, we find the notoriously troublesome mountain gremlin. Diminuitive in size and running in small packs, called droves, they are frequently found consuming data packets from network connections. They are especially fond of the richness of data on a copper line.”

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That’s it! I saw that documentary. They co-habit the tunnels of snow snakes and reach the peak of activity during January’s waxing moon. This will be a trying week but we shall persevere. :smirk:

1 Like