TableOfContents of NisusWriterPro documents and DTPro

Hi.
I have several NisusWriterPro RTF files with TOC.
I store these documents in DevonThinkPro databases.
Of course, the internal DTPro viewer cannot show the TOC.
However, either if open the document with NWPro from within DTPro (Open-With) or drag the document to the Desktop and then open it with NWP, the TOC has disappeared.

I do not know if Nisus guys have stored their TOC functionnality in a RTF attribute/tag of the document that is not standard -and therefore not imported- by DTP but I would be pleased if DTPro staff have an idea on this phenomenon: as NWP translator, I can directly report your suggestion to Nisus developpers.

Thanks in advance
Philippe

Just open such a file in TextEdit, modify it in some way, save it and then open it in Nisus Writer. Is the TOC still there?

Christian, opening it in TextEdit, changing some stuff and then resaving will loose TOC when reopened in NWP.

That means that Nisus guy save TOC in a non-standard attribute/part/field (do not know many about RTF syntax). Right ?

Phil

Probably. At least they’re using a method which is not compatible to Mac OS X’s text engine.

Ok, had some discussion with Nisus guys it: MacOsx engine does not support TOC, indexing, stylesheet, floating graphics, …

Importing a Word doc with TOC in TexEdit will also remove the TOC, while importing the same file in NWP will preserve it.

As I know how carefull we must be when using Word docs with DTP, may I guess you use MacOsx text engine for rendering importing documents in DTP ?

This issue is minor for me: as I already stated in other posts, I would rather zip NWP/Word files before importing them in DTP or only index them.

I just hope that, one day, Apple guys, instead of putting tons of stuffs for extreme geeks in iTunes or related high values products, will think to enhance the basic features everyone of us deal with each day

Well, “I had a dream”… :laughing:

Thanks for all your comments Christian…

Of course with the little exception that “all” and “every day” isn’t the case. I work at a university and the only times I see Word documents are when some admin people send something (but it’s getting more and more common with PDFs). Otherwise I rarely see a word file (except when some journal requires things in word format … which happens about once a year).

Personally I care very little how doc formats are translated, I’m more interested in formats that are not controlled by one company.

As software engineer, I work for companies for which I had to send reports. For some of them, the native - often deeply specified in ther ISO 2001 Quality Insurance- format of document’s exchange is the Word .doc format.
Do not send them another format, like RTF ou PDF… even for documents which have not to be modified… they simply disgard them and proudly warn you that the final report is missing.
Ask them why “.doc” ? Simply because their IT guys only know (only want to know) M$ products and only ensured that only Word document can be transmitted by their tools without any problem.

Even if I produce all my reports on Mac with NisusWriter / OpenOffice / Omnioutliner, for such companies, I have to handle M$ proprietary format.

But yes, I’m a kind of “Highlander” in my 100 people company: I’m the sole to use a Mac !

Hi, Philippe. Remind your IT folks that a requirement of continuing ISO QA registration is continuing improvement. :slight_smile:

Microsoft is facing growing resistance to standardization on the use of its products, especially in the European Union.

I’ve got the Mac version of MS Office but I don’t use it, and didn’t bother to install it on my MacBook Pro. I’ve got two apps that do a decent job of reading/writing or exporting as MS Word – Papyrus 12 and Pages. My favorite file format these days is the hybrid PDF format used by Papyrus. I can send any such document to anyone using any platform and they can read it as PDF. But it remains fully editable under Papyrus on Window or Mac computers. That’s one small step in combating the Tower of Babel we’ve created with so many proprietary file formats.

I fighted some years ago here in the office agains the ISO QA manager who wanted to imposed M$ Suite documents format as a standard for exchanging/storing documents
I won because one day a customer changed the terms of the contract by modifiying the 50pages Word document after the final signature. The guy just forgot that changes can be traced in Word !

I would very proud to be a kind of “DonQuichotte” but when you have to deal with big companies like Airbus, you have no choice: their choices are the standard. If you don’t agree, simply refuse the proposal

The reason for using Mac M$ Office Suite is that some documents coming from some companies contain sometimes specific stuff that can create problems when importing in other wordprocessor.
For instance, images which are greater than a page are automatically -in background- scaled by Word (View mode but aslo print) in a way that the builder of the document does not even see/understand that his image is too big to fit the page. When importing this document in NWP or even OO, the image is either trimmed or sometimes simply disgarded … and this completly modify the lokk-and-feel of the page !
Another example is logo/trademark images embelded in a style sheet
And I do not speak about Word document locked by macros which prompt you a authentification pane (username+password) to allow access

Well, Word is not a wordprocessor… it is a gaz plant :laughing: