Tag naming strategy

When I assign tags from several tag groups, the tag group also becomes a tag on the item. That’s not preferred as it clutters up the item with extra, unwanted tags. For example, if I organize my tags this way…

TAG_GROUPS>tag

TEACHERS>Campbell
TEACHERS>Harrison
TEACHERS>PATE

COLOR>blue
COLUR>green
COLOR>red

STATUS>pass
STATUS>fail

I tag an item with: Campbell, blue, pass.

Then the tags on the item show: TEACHER, Campbell, COLOR, blue, STATUS, pass.

I would rather have only these tags showing on the item: Campbell, blue, pass.

So, I’m currently naming my tags this way and avoiding tag groups all together:

tch.Campbell
tch.Harrison
tch.PATE

clr.blue
clr.green
clr.red

stat.pass
stat.fail

Then the item tags will show: tch.Campbell, clr.blue, stat.pass.

Is this the best way to avoid having a set of “parent” tag groups showing on an item?

(I wish there was an option to organize tags into folders, where the folders do not become tags on the item.)

1 Like

What is happening is logical and documented (see Getting Started > Tagging > Nested Tags in the built-in Help and manual).

Since those tags are contextually specific – and tags are specific to a database – do you need any kind of prefix or nested tags at all?
For example, would you be tagging something as pass for any other reason than whether a student passed or failed? And isn’t Campbell always going to be that teacher and not related to soup :wink:

By the way, you can (and always have been able to) exclude a tag group from being used as a tag. Control-click it and choose Exclude from Tagging and it will appear as a group. But realize that tag will no longer function as a tag for any purpose in that database.

3 Likes

That’s my solution; reflecting hierarchy in the tagname
I also find the tagnames are more descriptive; tch.Campbell will never be confused with soup.Campbell

Thanks. Choosing Excluding from tagging for the tag groups provided what I needed. I want to group the tags to provide some visual organization for my tags.

Are you using the Tag Filter? It sounds like you might also be interested in the feature request I submitted in this post.