Tags inherited from all levels of parents despite settings to the contrary

I only use a global inbox database. As soon as I create or import a new note, tags are inherited from all upper levels of the hierarchy despite settings (Database properties and DevonThink Settings) to the contrary.

I would like to set tags myself for each note.

thanks very much for your time and help

2024-04-18_15-34-51

Exclude Groups from Tagging should be enabled (the default).

1 Like

Why?
While this isn’t incorrect, it’s not the highest and best use of the Global Inbox. It is best used as a temporary storage location for transient and unfiled data.

Separate databases, especially topically built, are recommended. See the **Getting Started > Building Help > Tutorials > Build Your Database section of the built-in Help and manual or Help > Tutorials > Build A Database.

2 Likes

As far as I understand, by using multiple databases, I forfeit the ability to replicate which in my case is absolutely essential.
thank you for your reply.

Multiple doesn’t have to mean more than two, including the Global Inbox.

• Are you intermixing work and personal items in the Inbox?
    • If so, why?
    • If not, why don’t you make a separate database to house those documents.

Again, what you’re doing isn’t wrong but we do generally recommend a different approach.

2 Likes

OK. I understand. thanks

You can still use Global inbox as intended, and use one database to enable your replication needs. I sort of do that as I have one big database which has a lot of items that benefit from replication.

1 Like

a good point. thank you

You’re welcome! And again, it’s not a matter of correct or incorrect. But we do try and make recommendations for generally good experiences. :slight_smile:

1 Like