Textbundle support

A few months later … The annotation app Highlights shares markdown into DT as a textbundle. We can preview the text.markdown file but not edit it directly. So +1 for the request to add/improve support support to work with textbundle “files”.

JJW

I’ve been drawn to Markdown for all the usual and obvious reasons but I’ve been frustrated by the lack of a package or bundle file format (similar to RTF vs RTFD). Without that, I’m forced to create mini websites in a folder for every file I create (with an assets folder containing all the text and images used in every note I take). That process fills me with the same flavour of anxiety which I first encountered when saving my QuarkXpress documents for sending to the print shop 25+ years ago.

Key for me was DevonThink 2.0’s switch from the version 1.x proprietary database in favour of Finder-based storage using native file formats. Adding TextBundle to the list of supported formats (Mac & iOS) would make life so much easier and therefore would be much appreciated.

Thank-you for all the amazing work you put into DevonThink! I’ve relied on it for 16+ years. It unifies my iOS and Mac usage in a way that no other app or service even approaches achieving.

And thank-you @BLUEFROG for elaborating on your MarkDown workflow! You rock the most!

1 Like

I was the one receiving such documents, in print shops and services bureaus for 30+ years! And yes, you can likely feel and hear that background resonating in how I approach organization in DEVONthink! :slight_smile:

Adding TextBundle to the list of supported formats (Mac & iOS) would make life so much easier and therefore would be much appreciated.

Support for importing and reading .textbundle is already included.

We do have something in the pipeline that may be a bit of a bridge between full textbundle and my method. Stay tuned for a future release and hopefully it will mitigate your anxieties. :wink:

Thank-you for all the amazing work you put into DevonThink! I’ve relied on it for 16+ years. It unifies my iOS and Mac usage in a way that no other app or service even approaches achieving.

Thank you for those kind words. It does us good to hear that we’re having a positive impact on peoples’ lives, learning, business, etc. :slight_smile:

And thank-you @BLUEFROG for elaborating on your MarkDown workflow! You rock the most!

Wow! You’re welcome and thanks for the encouragement! :heart:

2 Likes

has that been implemented @BLUEFROG and I missed it or is this still in the pipeline? :smiley:

best

Z

The Preferences > FIles > Markdown > Import images to group is an automated way to create a group to house the images, making it easier to add images to a Mardkown document without having to manually add the links.

I assume this is for the desktop app?

Hope to see textbundle as a web clip option one day. It could be the first webclipper to offer this? Would help keep things tidy and flatter (no grouping for sake of keeping a single document and its assets together).

That is correct. It is an option in DEVONthink.

Aaaand Text bundle is officially supported in DTTG with 3.6!

3 Likes

Cannot thank the dev team enough for this. It was really a sticking point for me. Now to be greedy and ask that it gets added to the text types for creating a new document. You know, eventually. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This will be dependent on DEVONthink on the Mac supporting it. Can’t say when, but it’s on the (very long) list.

4 Likes

How do you create a TextBundles file in DT? Under Data->New, there is no TextBundles file to choose from.

DEVONthink on its own doesn’t support editing or creating text bundles. However, you could add template to the templates folder to easily create text bundles too but for editing an external editor would still be necessary.

1 Like

In DTTG?