The best way to switch from index to import?

Recently I realized that importing would work better for me while I was moving some files in an indexed database to an imported database, which is a bit tricky.

So I decided to switch from index to import altogether. Can I do so without re-indexing the existing items?

(I spent some time browsing this forum looking for a solution, but I was only able to find some info about switching from import to index, not from index to import.)

If you select an indexed item in a database, you can choose Data > Move into Database to import it.
Do note this removes the item in the Finder since it’s importing it into the internals of the database.

2 Likes

Thank you for such a quick response! And it is so good to know that it will remove the items from the Finder since I wished to keep them in the Finder. Thanks. :smile:

And it is so good to know that it will remove the items from the Finder since I wished to keep them in the Finder.

You’re welcome but I am confused by this statement.

The files will no longer be in their original location in the Finder if you use this command.
Is that what you’re expecting?

No I didn’t expect that. So now I know that I need to do a back up before doing that.

While we advocate being diligent in your backups, why would you need to in this case?

Are you intending to keep the files in the Finder and have a copy of them imported into a database too?

I think I temporarily need those files in the finder so that I can access them from my Air M1, where I can’t have all my databases due to the storage limit. (They are now on iCloud)
After all, what I am trying to do by importing all the items is to easily transfer items between databases. In this way, when needed, I can easily move the files to the database that is used in all my devices. Does it make sense?

where I can’t have all my databases due to the storage limit. (They are now on iCloud)

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

After all, what I am trying to do by importing all the items is to easily transfer items between databases. In this way, when needed, I can easily move the files to the database that is used in all my devices. Does it make sense?

Yes, having a self-contained, portable database makes sense.

Yes, I mean, I have four databases in my iMac (which has 1TB storage),
and because my Air m1 has 256GB storage, I synced three of them (through iCloud kit).

The fourth database, which is not synced to my Air, is an indexed database, where files on iCloud are indexed. So when I use my Air, I access these files on iCloud, not in DT3. A bit complicated because of this storage limit, so I’m figuring out the way I can better use my databases.

You can house the databases on a connected external hard drive if space is at a premium.

Just make sure you’re adding the external drive to your primary backups too.

1 Like

I was a bit confused about this statement.

This is a general difference between importing files and importing files that are already indexed, it seems, as regulary importing something does not remove the originals.

There are quite some instances where this is not ideal.
I have a Cryptomator database indexed in DT, that I finally would like to import into DEVONthink, so that I can also use it on my iDevices.

But of course I do not want the orginal files to be removed - they are the orginals that are also normally encrypted on OneDrive and are the most valued content.

So to restate the question of the orignal poster, is there no way to import indexed content without removing that content from it’s original location?
If that is true, indexing content is far less usable than I originally thought.

It would then be required to first make a copy of the data and at best rename the original and then rename the copy to the original name, then Move iunto database and after that rename the orginal content again.
That’s quite a thing.

I still hope, that there is another way to do that :slight_smile: