The difference between syncing via legacy and cloudkit

Is there a step-by-step walkthrough for migrating from iCloud (legacy) to iCloud (CloudKit) sync? I do, actively, use iCloud (legacy) to sync all of my databases… Thanks.

1 Like

That includes what do do on both ios and macos! Please pander to my ignorance so this switch doesn’t take a week!

There is no migration between the sync methods, I.e., you’re not moving data from one to the other. You are syncing afresh.

See:

Also, I would suggest you enable syncing one database at a time when uploading from the Mac as we are trying to gather data on a domain error.

1 Like

The databases show up in the “remote” section, but there is no way to clean the location.
On all of my devices the option “clean location” is greyed out.

I’ve followed the (very very very short) “manual” @BLUEFROG provided in this chat on the forum.

Ok, now I see my error

The instructions @Bluefrog gave earlier here:

1. Enable the iCloud (CloudKit) sync location, entering an optional encryption key, if desired.
  2. Enable a database to sync.
  3. After the sync is finished, enable the next database to sync and repeat, as needed.
  4. Make sure the legacy sync location is enabled
  5. Control-click the iCloud (Legacy) location and choose Clean Location to remove the sync data.
  6. When the clean has been reported in Window > Log, you can disable or remove the legacy location.

at no 4 is the solution: the legacy option needs to be enabled to be cleaned.

I’ve followed the (very very very short) “manual” @BLUEFROG provided in this chat on the forum.

?

:thinking:

I use Devonthink with indexing folders; Folders that are in the Documents folder of iCloud and so already sync with iCloud (Folder into de Document) Folder.
If I use CloudKit for a indexed database, what do CloudKit when I use Devonthink to Go ?

• they sync the link to the folders/files and open the file coming form the original location on iCloud (Documents) ?
  • they copy the folders/files into the specific iCloud location for Devonthink ? Folders/files are two times on iCloud; first into the original lcoation (Documents) and a second time in the specific iCloud Devonthinks loaction ?

Thank for your response

In fact, I was using the indexed folder to be able to view files/folders with other devices/applications than Devonthink by putting these files/folders in the iCloud Documents folder. And thus avoid having two versions of the same document (one in iCloud Documents and one in Devonthink), with always the risk that the same document is different in the 2 locations.
With CloudKit, it is therefore possible to put files/folders directly into Devonthink (by importing and NOT indexing, or by creating them directly in Devonthink) while keeping them accessible for other devices/applications. And to have only one version of each file/folder

Do I understand how the new iCloudKit works?

CloudKit functions by the same rules as the Legacy sync. The difference is CloudKit syncs directly to Apple’s servers.

Sync does not ”copy your files and folders” to a sync location. It’s raw, chunked, and optionally encrypted DEVONthink-specific data only used. Y DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go.