Tip for saving long Discourse threads

Some of you probably already know this tip, but it was new to me and I thought it might help others to mention it here even though it has nothing to do with DEVONthink per se:

If you have ever wanted to save a page from a long thread in a Discourse site, and faced the infuriating “design feature” of how Discourse unloads previous postings when you scroll forward in long threads (which breaks normal PDF export, among other things), I just discovered that if you add /print to the page URL, it will generate a printer-friendly version and that version has no gaps.

Example: this Discourse page on another site has 266 postings. If you simply visit the page in Safari 14 and print-to-PDF without scrolling, you get the first ~6 pages. If you scroll to the end of the web page first and then print, it prints the end but you get gaps at the beginning. If instead you add /print to the URL, without even scrolling, it will open a new window with a printer-friendly version and (this may take a few seconds) all content loaded. Presto! A version ready for your archival purposes.

Bonus tip: the /print functionality also automatically invokes your browser’s “print” function, but you can simply cancel out of that print dialog and you still get left with the fully-rendered page in your browser. This can be useful if you want to save it in some other fashion.

8 Likes

Interesting. Thanks.