To Do apps - DT integration

@littlesunjill Have you been able to integrate DT3 with Hook?

DEVONthink 3 and Hook work well together. See a list of Hook compatible apps. (The note about DEVONthink is gobbledygook. Not sure what it means.)

1 Like

Thanks

I think I agree with others - at first Hook seems like a great app. But the interface is not as intuitive as DT3 - and the lack of a directory of Hooks severely limits its usefulness.

Hooks seems good at making connections you already know about and repeating searches you have already done. DT3 seems much better at doing both ad hoc.

Thatā€™s the flaw, for sure.

Hi Stefan,

could you please repost the script? The download no longer works.

Thanks a lot!
Tim

Add to 2Do.scptd.zip (28.5 KB)

4 Likes

This seems to me to be the sleeping giant of To Do apps. OmniFocus gets tons of press but I am unimpressed with its sophistication. 2Do seems way better featured.

2 Likes

Hear, hear!

I use Todoist and Things. (I considered Omnifocus but decided it is overpriced and overl-complicatedfor my needs - in common with imo most of Ominiā€™s apps). I started using Todoist 3 years ago, Things about 4-5 years ago.

On a iphone andior ipad, an advantage of Things is that when you select content then right-click on the menu to share with Things. I find that very slick. The only issue is that if the content is very lengthy then itā€™s not so easy to share because the depth of the space the content goes in can exceed the screen height. When that happens I break up the content into short paragraphs. Iā€™m not a fan of the new design, despite the plaudits it has received. I think organisational options (such as project areas and tags) could be easier so I tend to avoid overdoing it. Despite using search I sometimes find i cannot find something even though I know itā€™s there.

Todoist I use all the time. Best I think for one or two sentences. Assigning labels is a boon: it means not necessary to put items in projects and now that projects and/or labels can be made into Favourites no longer necessary to scour around. The global search is very good. I tend to use Inbox for anything date-oriented and project files for anything thatā€™s not. On desktop version itā€™s easy to duplicate an item and drag it to anywhere else in Todoist. For notes, comments can be added to an entry but I am inclined to use Things for anything longer more than a few words.

Todoist is a task manager: setting up a repeating entry is straightforward. Itā€™s also possible to share entries with other ToDoist subscribers, My wife and i find that very useful for our shopping list. Mostly I do the once-a-week shop at the supermarket on the same day every week. I have a recurring list of items I buy regularly and when I buy them I click completed and the date of the item is automatically changed to the following week. When Iā€™m in the supermarket and my wife wants to change any of the items, she does so on her Todoist app and they immediately show up on mine. For any questions arising whilst Iā€™m shopping, I text and she either confirms by text or amends the item on Todoist.

An advantage of Todoist is that itā€™s browser-based. Every so often ToDoist release an update and so far Iā€™ve not encountered any issues: click and updated. The snag with Things is that it requires a separate Things app for desktop, iphone and ipad: the cost of two or three apps adds up. But Things has its own cloud (not third-party set-up) so once set up (straightforward) anything you do on Things desktop and/or ipad and/or iphone will automatically be on iphone and/or ipad. For a couple of years, I had a Samsung phone and really missed Things.

1 Like

@mog - Interesting comparison. Why do you use both of them? Doesnā€™t that get confusing sometimes to know where to look to get the big picture? Neither one would suffice by itself?

For the bigger picture I use DT3. When browsing content on ipad or iphone I use Things because the sync is easy so far as I am concerned. Despite having used DTPO for years, I havenā€™t really got the hang of DT sync: for me itā€™s clunky by comparison and even after I worked out how to set up i didnā€™t find it as easy and simple as Things. Before I got Todoist I used Things as my task manager but after i got a Samsung phone and couldnā€™t use Things (itā€™s Apple only) I havenā€™t gone back.

Confusing? Not particularly.

I can understand DT3 and a To-Do manager

Why both Things and ToDoist?

Does Things integrate with DT3 or do you transfer items manually?