TOC expanded by default

It would be very helpful it the ToC (⌃4) could be expanded by default. I often like to look at it to get a glimpse on the whole document in front of me. Having to manually go ahead and manually expand it each time feels slightly troublesome. Perhaps there could be a hidden preference to change this behaviour?

And what do you do when you have a mix of documents with very long table of contents and ones with short ones?

:thinking:

Well, you look at them and use them all the same. If you need to scroll down, then scroll down or use the keyboard. I don’t see how this makes a difference.

Besides, the TOC can display 62 lines. I rarely have documents with this many items.

I rarely have documents with this many items.

You may rarely have them, but we have to account for the possibilities of all our users and there is potential for more entries than this. Therefore automatic expansion would either be insufficient if there’s a hard cap on the number of entries that can be shown or it could expand everything and possibly become unmanageable.

PS: You can hold the Option key and click the disclosure triangle to expand entries in the table of contents.

Hence my suggestion to make it a hidden preference. I don’t how other users could get hurt or dissatisfied with having more options.

Or it could at the very least remember how I left the TOC the last time I opened the document.

Making it a preference would force the behavior with all documents while a user-intitiated action gives each user control on a document-by-document basis.

Or it could at the very least remember how I left the TOC the last time I opened the document.

That seems more generally feasible for everyone.

Development can weigh in on it, as they wish.

1 Like

The last expansion should be definitely restored after opening the same document again, just checked this using the PDF manual of DEVONthink.

Always a step ahead. Thanks, Christian. That is ideal.
(I have far too many md files with similar TOCs so I was under the impression that I had to manually expand it each time).

3 Likes