Turn off tags autocompletion

I like that after typing a couple of characters, a drop-down list of suggested tags appears. This is fantastic.

However, more often than not, the tags auto-complete by itself after I type one or two characters. This is not the behaviour I want because very often I type a string of just two characters and it auto-complete 2 different tags, none of which are my intended tags.

For example. I want to enter this tag: “ws”. Most of the time it’s fine. But sometimes, the auto-completion feature completes “w” and “s” to two different tags (e.g. “water” & “stairs”) and enter them into the field. So I have to delete them and repeat with “ws” again. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times before the auto-completion finally stops completing the tags before I press return.

I can’t find any solutions in the documentation. Is there a way I can turn off the auto-completion (or rather, auto tag+return) feature while keeping the drop-down list of suggested tags?

No, it’s not possible to disable autocompletion of tags at this time. Development would have to assess the feasibility of implementing this.

Alright. Thanks for getting back!

The next release will add a hidden preference.

1 Like

Is this now implemented in 3.8? And how can I find this “hidden pref”?

i am not at my desk to to check this for you but look in the DEVONthink Handbook (or help) in section about hidden preferences.

Yes, this in in the current version of DEVONthink.

Go into DEVONthink’s Help > Documentation > Appendix > Hidden Preferences.

Are you running macOS 12 Monterey?

Thank you for this really well hidden info :slight_smile:

Yes, macOS12 on a Mac Mini M1 and DT3.8.
But the blue on/off-links on the Help-page are not clickable (only the Activity-, Search- and Information Bar-links).

I suppose these on/off-links will open a textbox/page with the relevant Terminal-command to copy/paste to the Terminal.

Also no success with DT3 quitted. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Copy the link and paste it into Safari’s address bar.