Two questions about marking as flagged:

Is there a way to mark a tag or group as flagged without automatically marking all the items within the tag or group as flagged?

Is there a way to find a flagged tag or group with a defined smart group?

I read the help file and see that in terms of searching: “Flag: The flag state of a file. Supports flagged or unflagged.” Dutifully noted that it says “state of a file,” and I understand a file is not a flag or group. However, I’m looking for a way to find flagged projects. I am creating projects with an associated tag or group. When I search for the project I don’t want to see all the associated file unless I drill down into the tag or group. Can I do this with flags, or is there a better workflow that I’m missing?
46%20AM

The flag is currently always applied to the children. But instead of using flags other metadata (e.g. a label or tag) or custom metadata might be an option.

1 Like

My labels are occupied with GTD tracking, but custom metadata, which has already proven itself to be worth the upgrade fee, would be perfect for this, too.

I just created a custom metadata field and called it Today’s Big 3.
It has three options: priority 1, priority 2, and priority 3.

I created a smart group called Today’s Big 3 which finds the word “priority” in the Today’s Big 3 custom metadata field and turned on and sorted the returned results by the Today’s Big 3 custom metadata column.

Lovin’ it. Thank you.

Add criterion Kind is Group to filter out files.

I think you’re referring to my original post. What I discovered is that groups and tags, while they can be marked as flagged, can’t be found as flagged. Only files are found with smart group and search criteria. This is counterintuitive since groups and tags can be marked as flagged. I hope that makes sense, and I’d be thrilled to learn that I’m wrong so correct me with impunity. :slight_smile:

Technically, this is correct. It is noting there are 6 matches and indeed there are only 6 groups when you hoist the smart group.

Interesting to me is that flagged subgroups aren’t counted, so this would appear to be matching top-level flagged groups. Unless I’m missing something, @cgrunenberg would have to say if that’s accurate or not.

The flag of non-empty groups is defined by the flags of its children. However, there was a minor bug in beta 1 which will be fixed.