Unable to reindex folders or "unindex" to reindex them again

Dear community,

I was indexing a bunch of selected folders on my Synology NAS and accessed through AFP or WebDAV.
I’m facing a couple of issues:

DTP3 couldn’t detect changes on NAS. Now it says files are either empty or missing.
Furthermore, I can’t click on the indexed folder and reindex it through the file menu in DTP3. It just has no effect and no feedback is being provided.
There’s also no way for me to “unindex” or delete an indexed folder without deleting its remote contents (something I don’t want to do, obviously).
Plus, some remote folders aren’t being indexed completely. For example, I’d have a folder with photographs with subfolders in it. Only two of the folders would be partially indexed and the process would stop there.

I’m stuck. Reaching out to the kind peeps from the community. Can anyone cast some light on these obscure matters?

Did you use File > Update Indexed Items while the NAS volume was mounted?

Yes, I did.
Though I must admit, this connection is rocky. I often get a macOS message that the drive gets disconnected. Sometimes, when I bulk rename indexed files through batch processing if the drive gets disconnected I get into a nasty situation where the file has been renamed in DTP3 but remained unchanged on NAS. Looking into indexed file properties in DTP3 would reveal that it points to the unchanged remote name. Gross.

Is the NAS in the same local network?

No, it’s remote.

Welcome @antikvar

You should index locally available data, not data on the cloud or on remote servers. Even if you’re running on a gigabit Ethernet connection (and that’s the minimum you connection you should be using in a situation like this), the chances of dropping the server is too high to make this a reasonable approach.

Yep, it looks like it. Well, in my case, it’s a shame but it’s not going to make it or break it if I don’t index my NAS’s folders. Then the question is: how do I “break” the link between my NAS and DTP3 without losing data in the NAS folder?

@BLUEFROG , thanks for welcoming me :slight_smile: I’m not writing here too often as I’m the silent kind who tends to dig out answers from other people’s struggles on this forum.

You’re welcome and no worries. We have plenty of lurkers, I’m sure. :wink:

If you delete the indexed parent group in DEVONthink, then empty the database’s Trash, you should be prompted what to remove. Choose Only in Database to remove only the references, leaving the files in the filesystem intact.

OK, lovely. I read it in the documentation but wasn’t sure “Only in Database” meant “Leave original files intact and only remove the pointers”.
So, just to clarify, what you’re referring to as the indexed parent group is the first sub-folder (sub-group) that’ll have a finder logo against it, right? Not the one above it that does not have a finder icon against it.

OK, tried it and all worked. Thank you!

1 Like

indexed parent group is the first sub-folder (sub-group) that’ll have a finder logo against it, right? Not the one above it that does not have a finder icon against it.

Correct and glad you got it cleaned up. :slight_smile: