Updating indexed groups including deconsolidation

In a recent thread, a very useful script was posted:
[url]Updating indexed groups across many databases]

If the variable “pAllRecords” is set to “true” in the script, it will update all indexed folders in all open databases. I find this indispensable, mostly for making sure that all DBs are up-to-date before syncing to DTTG, e.g. prior to a trip. The script is now part of the suite that comes with DTPO (but note that the default setting for “pAllRecords” is “false”)

Personally, I have another procedure that I would like to automate: For various reasons, I ended up with deciding that I would not keep DTPO-internal files inside indexed folders. So whenever I have an internal item ending up in an indexed folder, I “export” the item to the indexed folder. Obviously, this is tedious.

In another, recent thread, a triggered script was described, that, when attached to the indexed folder would take care of automatically exporting (or deconsolidating, as it is called in the DTPO AppleScript dictionary).
[url]Devonthink Pro Office - Indexing Files Sync]

However, this still requires manually attaching the script to each indexed folder you bring into DTPO. For someone like me who decided that indexed folders will only contain indexed items, this can also be automated across all databases.

The script described at the top already traverses all paths in all open databases to look for indexed folders, for updating them. One can then include the deconsolidation command in the same loop, to update indexed items and deconsolidate internal items at the same time.

I’ve preliminarily tested the resulting script:

-- Update indexed items of all databases
-- Created by Christian Grunenberg on Tue Mar 25 2014.
-- Copyright (c) 2014. All rights reserved.

-- Added automatic deconsolidation of internal items that reside in indexed folders. Only use this if you want ALL items inside indexed folders to be indexed.
-- gg378, 26-Sep-2014

-- Set to true if indexed items are not only located at the root of the database
property pAllRecords : true

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set theDatabases to databases
		show progress indicator "Updating Indexed Items" steps (count of theDatabases)
		repeat with theDatabase in theDatabases
			step progress indicator (name of theDatabase as string)
			set theRecords to records of theDatabase -- Children of root
			repeat with theRecord in theRecords
				if pAllRecords or theRecord is indexed then
					synchronize record theRecord -- Updates children of theRecord too
					deconsolidate record theRecord -- Export internal files in indexed folders
				end if
			end repeat
		end repeat
		hide progress indicator
	on error error_message number error_number
		hide progress indicator
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink Pro" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

It seems to work as described, but I’d like to hear the opinion of the scripting experts.

Looks like a good script. It is potentially very impactful – large numbers of databases, groups, indexed items. This sort of scope is hard to validate. You’ll not know if it worked correctly. The error handling merely reports something went wrong but not necessarily what it was. And every failure is not necessarily an error – putting a document in the wrong folder is OK with a script but probably not OK with you.

I’d suggest beefing up the error handling to give helpful messages: “tried to deconsolidate group FFF in database QQQ and failed with error XXX”. I’d also consider logging the deconsolidation transactions – at least optionally. You can write to DEVONthink’s Log in a script.