Updating Records

I was using DT3 until about April of 2023 and then stopped. I would now like to resume. For example, I have a group Banking. Within that group in DT3 are nested folders for each year beginning with 2020 and ending with 2023 in April when I stopped using DT3. The same folder structure exists in the Finder, except that those documents are up to date. If I drag and drop the entire 2023 group from the Finder into DT3, will documents that are already in DT3 be duplicated? Or, do I have to find the documents that are not already in DT3 and drag them individually from the Finder into DT3?

DEVONthink will allow you to drag and import new documents, and if there are any duplicates, DEVONthink has tools to help you locate duplicates. Search the “DEVONthink Manual” for “duplicates” to find a lot of references. Start on page 10, I think, to see how duplicates are tagged with a special icon. Also in Menu: Settings → Tab: General → Tab: General tag on or off (your preference) on “stricter recognition of duplicates”.

1 Like
  • Why do you have the same folder structure in the Finder?
  • Are you importing or indexing?
    • If importing, why don’t you delete the 2023 group in DEVONthink and import it from the Finder afresh?
1 Like