Upgrade to DP3 struggles

Struggling with upgrading.

1. I followed the linked instructions—dropped “Cloudy” folder into DTP3 then deleted DTPO2, but now my sync settings are completely grayed out.
  1. SOLVED: I clicked on the file and it opened. But odd that I wasn’t able to open it from the app, no? [I cannot open my DTPO2 database (extension “.dtBase2”) with DTP3—I’ve opened the folder with the app, but it’s not listed as an openable file. Oddly, other “.dtBase2” files are available.]

2. Are there full instructions somewhere on how to upgrade, including sync settings, etc.? I’ve searched the but can’t seem to find them. They’re neither on the “Support” home page, nor on the “Questions and Answers” page.

Please help—thanks!

The sync settings aren’t automatically migrated, therefore you have to add the sync locations (see + button in the bottom bar of the Locations list) again and afterwards enable the desired databases for each sync location.

I get that—but my issue is that the Sync tab in Preferences is “grayed out”—and I can’t press the “+” button to add a Location. Any idea why this might be?

Does it work after restarting DEVONthink or the computer? Which version of DEVONthink and of macOS do you use?

Thanks for the help—I’ve started a support ticket and am now in touch with Jim. But I will happily post a resolution here as soon as I reach one.

One unaddressed question that might be helpful to many: are there instructions on how to upgrade? As noted in my original post, they’re neither found on the “Support” home page, nor on the “Questions and Answers” page.

Other than opening the databases in DEVONthink 3 and setting up sync locations as Criss mentioned, there’s not much beyond you have to do except delete the DEVONthink 2 application.

Regarding uninstalling DEVONthink 2:

1. Select Tools > Hide Sorter , if the Sorter is visible.
  2. Quit DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2.

At a minimum, you can delete the DEVONthink Pro (Office) application from the /Applications folder.

To do a deeper clean when moving from DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2 to DEVONthink 3…
Note: While it is not a prerequisite, we strongly recommend making sure your proper primary backups are current before starting this process.

Trash the following files and folders, noting the tilde (~) signifies the User Library:

• DEVONthink Pro (Office) application
  • ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2
    Note:
    • If you have put your databases (.dtBase2 files) in this folder, you should move them to the ~/Databases folder.
    • If you have created custom templates or scripts, you can move Templates.noindex and Scripts to your Desktop before deleting this directory. You could then later add those resources to the appropriate folders in the DEVONthink 3 Application Support folder.
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2.*
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/Scripts/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific workflows in ~/Library/Workflows/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/ Library/PDF Services/
  • DEVONthink related Bookmarklets from your web browser
  • The Inbox in the sidebar of your Finder windows
  • Delete the DEVONthink Sorter from System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items , if present.

Then reboot the machine.

After the reboot, open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Security and enable DEVONthink 3 in the Full Disk Access section. You will also periodically get requests from macOS to allow DEVONthink 3 to control other applications. For the best experience and performance, you should always approve these requests from DEVONthink.

1 Like

I’m a simpleton. I’ve deleted the Pro Office application and all Pro Office specific scripts, workflows, etc. But, now that I am enjoying DEVONthink 3, and it seems like all my DEVONthink Pro Office data files (pdfs, rich text, plain text, images, etc.) have been converted/replaced by DEVONthink (3) documents, can I do a Finder search for all the DEVONthink Pro Office data files on my system and delete all 10,000 of them, on the assumption that they are not used by DEVONthink 3 and have all been converted to and replaced by DEVONthink (3) documents?

There is no such “replacement”.
DEVONthink’s database file format remains the same between version 2 and 3. This means you can easily open your existing databases in DEVONthink 3, with no “conversion” or “migration” needed.

Are you referring to the metadata files contained in “username”>Library> ?

When I installed DT3 it created a second set of metadata files specific to DT3, however, the actual documents are stored in the .dtBase2 file.

So I think the question is, can you safely delete the DT2 metadata files from the user library?

But correct me if I misunderstood the question.

Yes, Cali310, the metadata file that is of the “kind” “DEVONthink Pro Office” in the Finder. Those can safely be deleted from the library following upgrade to DEVONthink 3?

I defer to the developers. But it seems to me that that deleting the following folder would eliminate the duplicates:
“username”>Library>Caches>Metadata>DEVONthink Pro 2

Yes, you can remove the old DEVONthink Pro 2 metadata cache.

Thank you for your patience and attention to detail. Much appreciated.