How do we delete Version 2 after upgrade to V3?

I’ve installed DevonThink 3 alongside version 2 as per the upgrade guide. DT3 works, but the two keep getting tangled up, for example using the “Save PDF to DevonThink” option from a print dialog (which I use a lot) will open and save to DT2.

So I want to remove DT2 to avoid confusion. I found a Q&A article on removing it which pointed me to the documentation’s readme section. But it looks like following them may remove a mixture of DT2 and DT3 folders. Can someone from DevonTechnologies please confirm they are correct or post a concise guide on how to remove DT2 after upgrading to DT3?

DT3 works, but the two keep getting tangled up, for example using the “Save PDF to DevonThink” option from a print dialog (which I use a lot) will open and save to DT2.

Correct and why we have always advocated running DEVONthink 3 on a separate account or not running 2.

So I found the instructions to remove DT2 in the documentation based on your Q&A section.

What are you specifically referring to?

But aside from being a bit long-winded

How about "thorough" ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I edited my post to point out the path to the instructions :slight_smile:

From the documentation:

UNINSTALLING

To remove (uninstall) DEVONthink Pro Office completely from your Mac, trash the following files and folders (~ stands for your Home folder):

• DEVONthink Pro Office
  • ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2
  • ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/DEVONthink.mailbundle
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.devon-technologies.thinkpro.*
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/Library/Scripts/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific workflows in ~/Library/Workflows/
  • All DEVONthink Pro Office-specific scripts in ~/Library/PDF Services/
  • Dashboard widgets
  • Bookmarklets from your web browser
  • The reference to the global inbox folder in your Finder’s sidebar
  • Keychain entries containing “devoncloudy”

I’m a bit suspicious this may break my V3 installation.

I’m not sure what would cause suspicion in instructions we provide, but there are no entries here that couldn’t be reinstalled afresh from DEVONthink 3 > Install Add-Ons.

If the Mail plugin was already installed and operational in DEVONthink 3, you could ignore it.
If the Inbox alias was installed and operation for DEVONthink 3, you could ignore that one too.

And at a minimum, you could delete the DEVONthink Pro (Office) application and the ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 folder and call it a day, though I would move the Cloudy folder to DEVONthink 3 if sync hadn’t already been set up in 3…

1 Like

The suspicion arises for several reasons: These instructions are pre-V3, not in the context of an upgrade, only one folder is definitely version-specific, and some V2 configuration was automatically effective in V3.

For example my iCloud Sync carried on working in V3. It is not easy for a mere user to tell whether these settings are copied to a V3 or it’s a common configuration setting that I’d be deleting if I were to follow the above instructions.

This is why I suggested it would be useful to provide a concise guide (or script?) for the average Joe User to remove V2 after upgrading.

2 Likes

This was the reason why I deleted all traces of DT2 the first week of Beta because after using both for a while folder/files might have gotten mixed up when I would have had had to delete DT2.

Blockquote
I would move the Cloudy folder to DEVONthink 3 if sync hadn’t already been set up in 3…

What does that mean ? If I open up a database synced in iCloud with DT3(but created in DT2), I can see the sync in the preference panel. The database sync was setup in DT2. Does that mean if I delete DT2, this sync will disappear?

No. DEVONthink 3 has its own sync settings.

Can you summarize when/how it does/doesn’t matter if the Cloudy folder is moved? Presumably okay not to move if not syncing with v2? Thanks!

• It could be moved if someone had been running the beta.
  • If you are still running v2, then no you shouldn’t move it.
  • However, on an new upgrade or purchase DEVONthink 3 should migrate the sync settings. It’s easiest to check the Preferences > Sync after launching 3.
1 Like

Sync settings did not transfer after I upgraded yesterday. Suggestions?

Are you running DEVONthink 2 still?

Yes. I am not about to mess with my business databases until I am sure I have things sorted on DT3.

You could do this…

1. Quit DEVONthink Pro (Office) 2.
  2. In the Finder, hold the Option key and choose Go > Library .
  3. In the Application Support folder, move the Cloudy folder from the DEVONthink Pro 2 folder to the DEVONthink 3 folder, overwriting the existing items, if prompted.
  4. Launch DEVONthink 3.

However, you should not run DEVONthink 2 and 3 simultaneously.

1 Like

Thanks. Moving the cloudy folder seems to be doing the trick.

For what it’s worth, I poked around a bit more in detail and noticed the DT2 Cloudy folder is an alias, so there is only one.

I’ve gone through all of the above steps (I think), but still have DTP2 showing up in the Services menu:

How do I get rid of these?

Is the system trash empty
Did you reboot the machine?

PS: We don’t put the services in, and Apple doesn’t provide a user-friendly way to clean them out either.

1 Like

I did reboot, but didn’t delete the trash. I’ll try it on my home machine when I’m back at home, but I just went through the steps here on my work machine, taking care to delete the trash and reboot, and the services for DTP2 are gone. Thanks.

When I followed these instructions everything was fine.

BUT THEN I realized that my custom templates were gone.

I was able to find them in the trash.

The point here is be careful when removing ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2

I have yet to try them in DT3. Assuming they’ll work.

Point being – you might want to be careful before deleting this folder.