URLs that won't open

I’ve got DTG 3 running on an iPad Pro 5th generation synchronising with DEVONthink 3 on an iMac. I’ve got a set of bookmarks including this one: Boije’s collection, which links to a Swedish collection of guitar music available for free download. On the iMac the links to the pdfs of sheet music work well, but on the iPad these links don’t open (though links on the rest of the site do). This is an example: example link.
Though the links don’t open directly, if I copy a link and paste it into a browser, or if I share a link to Notes and then click it in Notes it opens perfectly normally. Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but can anyone help me with the explanation for this behaviour?

Since this is a PDF, why not use the Capture PDF option when adding the bookmark to DEVONthink To Go?

When adding the PDF link to DEVONthink To Go, the app decides from the URL that it’s supposed to be a PDF and not a bookmark. That more like a convenience fallback in the app and not useful here. We’ll have a look at the issue.

I came here to report a similar bug I think (or not if I’ve misunderstand how the sharesheet function works!). When I am reading a PDF in DTTG and click on an embedded link, it opens fine in DT but if I click on sharesheet>open URL it’s not working. Previously it opened the URL in Safari if I clicked this. Clicking “copy URL” does copy the URL, and clicking “open in new window” works, so I assume the bug is specifically with the “open URL” instruction. This is a new bug I think as I don’t recall any issues before the latest update (although I still have TestFlight installed if this matters!).

Thanks for your reply, but I’m not sure what you’re referring to. I can’t find Capture PDF and I don’t see a reference to it in the manual. I’m bookmarking the website rather than individual PDFs and I added the bookmark using DEVONthink desktop.

Thanks, that would be good :grinning:

Gotcha. When you add a bookmark to DEVONthink To Go, if it points to a PDF you would see the option to continue making a bookmark or capture the PDF.
To add to the awesomeness of this feature in DEVONthink To Go, this also works with links to several other file types, e.g., .doc files…

https://azre.gov/sites/default/files/FormF-Membership_Campground_App.docx added as a bookmark shows…

OK, thanks.That’s a good feature for PDFs but not for the use case I asked about. I guess for the time being I’ll just have to share the pdf link from DTG to another app to display them.

I’m curious: Why do you want to just access the PDF via a bookmark instead of storing the actual PDF?

Because the bookmark is a website that contains a large number of PDFs of music. The bookmark gets me to the website and I then want to be look through some of the music and pick pieces I’m interested in.

Well, why not add the bookmark to the site, browse to a particular piece, capture it, then navigate backward and continue browsing? That way you’d be storing the individual desired music and still be able to browse.

The bookmark opens the website, then I find an alphabetical list of links. I click on G (for example) and it lists all the PDFs of pieces by composers whose names begin with G. I click and hold one of the titles and the options I get are:
Open - which doesn’t work
Copy Link - which does work and allows me to copy the link to a browser
Share - which works ok and allows me to share to another app
Add to Reading List - which does work

So I can create a reading list of PDFs; I guess that’s what you mean but I admit I hadn’t tried that feature before :confused:
But it would be simpler if I could just open the PDF link - but perhaps this will be possible in a future update.

Fixed for the next maintenance release.

1 Like

Fixed for the next maintenance release.