Use a menu shortcut for replication

I struggle finding an efficient workflow for making multiple replicants for new documents. In version 2.X I would press ctrl+enter and then type group/tag names for replicating and tagging items.
This is not feasible in v3 for any tag or group containing commas, but to keep consistency and retain naming conventions overall I need to keep using commas in at least group names. If need be, I could handle my tags with a naming convention that exclude the use of commas and even spaces, but not for groups. Now, in v3 a comma typed in this tag section invoked by ctrl+enter will use commas as separator and create two or more tags instead of accepting what was typed as being an existing group name.
My present workaround is to right-click and use Replicate To which is challenging and cumbersome. I generally wish to only use my keyboard and to have a visual confirmation of what I do (I work fast, with up to hundreds of minute details per hour that I need to replicate correctly).

From the indefatigable support I have learned that this is related to Apple’s handling of tags and difficult to solve. So I would like to suggest a functionality that would be ideal for me under the circumstances:

• A similar popup window to the one that exists for “Move to” for “Replicate to” and similar functionality
  • Once replicated, the item and the window the user stood in should remain in front
  • Preferably, focus should remain in the popup with the possibility to perform multiple “replicate to” operations without leaving

Any thoughts on this, or does anyone have a “keyboard only”, efficient way of replicating items in v3?

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! This is planned for upcoming betas/releases, probably by pressing a modifier key.

1 Like

What is the status of this request? I, too, when doing my “daily inbox processing run” want to replicate a given note to multiple groups (which I prefer to tags). The keyboard shortcut to “Move to” is great. Something similar, “Replicate To”, which shows a popup that allows quick typing (ala Move To dialog) to select a group to replicate to would be ideal. As it is, it’s too slow to constantly right-click and then navigate the menu structure by hand.

1 Like

These keyboard and mouse combinations still work, although the “Get Info” inspector doesn’t seem to be recognizing that a given file has a rep or dup. Faster than using the control-dropdown menu.

Duplicate to another location: Option-drag
Replicate to another location: Command-option-drag

1 Like

But the suggestion of pop-up “Replicate to” & “Duplicate to:” windows is terrific. I just mention the Drag + Option/Command-Option feature as another way to accomplish the task.

1 Like

Googling “devonthink keyboard shortcut replicate” brings me to here. Ad me to the list of those wishing to see this added. I have immense use for something like this on a regular basis.

Any news on adding a keyboard shortcut to the command “Replicate to…”? I replicate documents all the time (one of the great features of DTP) and would love to be able to use the keyboard to execute this command.

No there is no news on this. You can’t replicate an item to the same group which is what a menu command would do.

Except that the command “Replicate to…” allows a choice of target groups so not the same group at all. Just a keyboard shortcut to avoid the time delays and imprecision under old shaky hands trying to maneuver through stepped drop-down menus.

Try using Data > Move to to open the Move to popover.
Hold the Command and Option keys to switch the replication mode.

Thanks!—that works. It’s also in the manual… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like