Use Synoloy NAS and 2 MacOS to access DEVONthink database

Hello DEVONthink Community,

I’m new to DEVONthink and recently discovered its potential for organizing and managing files. I’ve just started exploring its features and capabilities, but I’m seeking advice from experienced users on the best practices for using DEVONthink in my specific scenario.

Here’s a bit about my setup and requirements:

1. File Storage: I have a large number of files stored on a Synology NAS. These files include documents, PDFs, images, and more.
  2. Access: I need to access these files from multiple MacOS and Windows computers. However, if necessary, I can restrict access to MacOS only.

Given this setup, I have a few questions:

1. Database Location: Is it advisable to store the DEVONthink database on the Synology NAS, considering potential risks such as corruption or performance issues? If not, where should I store it and make it accessible by multiple MacOS devices?
  2. Backup Strategy: What backup strategies do you recommend for ensuring data integrity and recovery, particularly when using a NAS for file storage?
  3. Configuration Tips: Are there any specific settings or configurations within DEVONthink that I should consider adjusting to optimize performance and reliability in my scenario?

I would greatly appreciate any insights, tips, or recommendations from those who have experience using DEVONthink with a NAS, especially in a multi-platform environment.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

1 Like

Backup 3-2-1
3 copies; 2 local on different media; 1 offsite

I use Mac TimeMachine for incremental backups to a local drive
and cloud service Arq Premium for incremental backups to a cloud location

> I need to access these files from multiple MacOS and Windows computers.
You can leave the folders/files on the NAS at their current location
and use the Indexing option for access through Devonthink

4 Likes

Thank you, DTLow for your response. Would you please elaborate a bit more on the details of the implementation for:

For example, does this mean that DEVONthink will be installed on both MacOS devices? When accessing DEVONthink from any of the devices and wanting to create a database, would I simply create it and save it on the Synology NAS? Is this how it’s supposed to work? I am concerned about the potential for database corruption under this configuration.

1 Like

+++ for Arq Backup. Amazing software. I’ve found my end-game backup solution doesn’t rely on the Arq Premium subscription at all though. I instead use basic Arq to backup to a local Minio (S3) installation running on TrueNAS SCALE, and separately to Storj for true off-site backup. Hard to believe but Storj is faster, cheaper, more private, and more secure than any traditional cloud storage provider, and it works perfectly with Arq to boot. Whether it’s more reliable in terms of low risk of data loss is a little harder to quantify because of its unique decentralized approach, but as I recall research has suggested rough parity with AWS. I still wouldn’t trust it as a one-and-done backup solution, but, like, no one should trust any single solution that much?

3 Likes

Thank you, @sangye, for chiming in. I appreciate the input. At this stage, I am trying to understand the best practice for having my database and files stored on Synology NAS and accessed via multiple MacOS computers. I would appreciate any guidance on this.

1 Like

You should not store your databases on a NAS. Unless all machines are connected to it on a Gigabit LAN.

DT databases are always local to the machine(s) that need them. They can, however, index (as opposed to import) external files, eg from a NAS.

4 Likes

To access a Devonthink database, the Devonthink app must be installed on the device

> wanting to create a database, would I simply create it and save it on the Synology NAS

Storing the Devonthink databases on a NAS is not recommended
The database location should be local for each device; with each device having it’s own database copy

4 Likes

Read in the “DEVONthink Manual” about syncing. Databases are synced (make same content on each) with one another, not “shared” as a client-server app would do. If you want to get your NAS involved in syncing, you can use Synology’s WebDAV service. But I recommend you start with using Bonjour for syncing with your devices each of which has DEVONthink installed and running.

5 Likes

Thank you so much to all the community members who provided their input. I really appreciate it. I have successfully installed and configured DT to work as expected.

2 Likes