Using Houdahspot to search inside DEVONthink 3

does it mean @mbbntu you just index EVERYTHING?

No, I index very little. Just my Bookends attachments folder and my Obsidian vault, at the moment. I’m not a great fan of indexing. Just a personal preference.

1 Like

would you mind being more elaborative why you are „not a great fan of indexing“ altogether? @mbbntu

Not to overstep @mbbntu, but I’ll step in with a comment.

Indexing files is more complicated, especially when the files are on removable or cloud media. Anyone wanting to Index files should:

• understand the specific reason (in other words, “what problem is solved?”) indexing is needed or desired
  • fully read and understand the documentation (“DEVONthink Manual”) about the pros and cons of indexing.

As I said, it is a personal preference. There is not necessarily a rational reason for such preferences. I happen to like the colour blue, but I don’t think I could really explain why.

Having said that, I get the feeling that indexing is capable of throwing up problems under certain circumstances, especially where there is “double synchronisation” – that is, where a DEVONthink database that is synchronised is indexing a folder that is itself synchronised using another method (such as the Documents folder, which may be synchronised to iCloud).

1 Like