Using Reminders script to generate new Daily Journal - Markdown from Smart Template

Objective - I’d like DT3 to generate a daily journal file using the “Daily Journal - Markdown” template in my “Journal” database at a specified time.

Attempts: I tried to copy the main.scpt from the embedded script folder of the “Daily Journal - Markdown” package into either an embedded script or into a separate script file as an external script tied to a reminder set up in the “Journal” database. In both cases, the reminder ran the script but hit a -1708 error. I tried to nest the main.scpt contents within the “on performReminder” sequence, but that has syntax errors.

I’m sure this reflects my lack of AppleScript chops … but I’m stumped in figuring out how to activate this embedded script on an automated basis. Appreciate any thoughts!

Maybe someone who uses templates understands what you’ve done, however I don’t use them and have no idea. If you post your modified scripts I’ll take a look, it’s much easier to recognize errors if there’s something to look at :slight_smile:

This is script, modified slightly for a different RSS feed but otherwise as provided in the DT3 template package file.

(*
	Based on script by Chuck Lane October 2, 2013
	https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/daily-journal-script/16509
	Updated and optimized for DEVONthink 3 by Christian Grunenberg April 30, 2019
	Localized by Eric Böhnisch-Volkmann June 28, 2019
	Revised for Markdown by Christian Grunenberg Oct 19, 2020
*)

property headerColor : {40000, 20000, 0}
property blackColor : {0, 0, 0}
property dateColor : {30000, 30000, 30000}
property numHeadlines : 5

-- Import helper library
tell application "Finder" to set pathToAdditions to ((path to application id "DNtp" as string) & "Contents:Resources:Template Script Additions.scpt") as alias
set helperLibrary to load script pathToAdditions

-- Retrieve the user's locale so that we can e.g. get localized quotes and headlines
set theLocale to user locale of (get system info)
if the (length of theLocale > 2) then
	set theLocale to (characters 1 through 2 of theLocale) as string
end if

-- Format the time, strip out the seconds but keep the AM/PM indicator
set theDate to current date
set theTime to time string of theDate
if (theTime contains "AM" or theTime contains "PM") then
	if character 5 of theTime is ":" then
		set theTime to (characters 1 through 4 of theTime) & (characters 8 through 10 of theTime) as string
	else
		set theTime to (characters 1 through 5 of theTime) & (characters 9 through 11 of theTime) as string
	end if
else if character 5 of theTime is ":" then
	set theTime to (characters 1 through 4 of theTime)
else
	set theTime to (characters 1 through 5 of theTime)
end if

-- Format the month number
set numMonth to (month of theDate as integer) as string
if the (length of numMonth) < 2 then set numMonth to "0" & numMonth

-- Format the day, calculate suffix for English if needed
set theDay to day of theDate as string
set shortDay to theDay -- shortDay won't have a leading zero
if the (length of theDay) < 2 then set theDay to "0" & theDay
set daySuffix to ""
if theLocale is not "de" then
	set suffixList to {"st", "nd", "rd"}
	set theIndex to last character of theDay as integer
	if (theIndex > 0) and (theIndex < 4) and the first character of theDay is not "1" then
		set daySuffix to item theIndex of suffixList
	else
		set daySuffix to "th"
	end if
end if

-- Format the year
set theYear to year of theDate as string

-- Format month and weekday names (localized)
if theLocale is "de" then
	set theMonth to word 3 of (theDate as text)
	set longWeekday to word 1 of (theDate as string)
else
	set theMonth to month of theDate as string
	set longWeekday to weekday of theDate as string
end if
set shortWeekday to characters 1 thru 3 of longWeekday

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		activate
		set myGroup to create location "/Journal/" & "/" & theYear & "/" & numMonth
		set recordName to theYear & "-" & numMonth & "-" & theDay & " " & shortWeekday
		set myRecords to children of myGroup whose name is recordName and type is markdown
		if ((count of myRecords) is 0) then -- Create the document from scratch
			if my theLocale is "de" then
				set theHeadline to (longWeekday & "," & space & shortDay & "." & space & theMonth)
			else
				set theHeadline to (theMonth & space & shortDay & daySuffix & "," & space & longWeekday)
			end if

set myQuote to my getQuote()
			set myNews to my getNews()
			set theContent to "# " & theHeadline & return & "<i>" & myQuote & "</i>" & return & return & "# Headlines" & return & return

repeat with i from 1 to (count of items of myNews) by 2
				set theContent to theContent & "[" & item i of myNews & "]"
				set theContent to theContent & "(" & item (i + 1) of myNews & ")   " & return
			end repeat

set myRecord to create record with {name:recordName, content:theContent, type:markdown, tags:theYear & "," & theMonth} in myGroup
		else -- Record already exists, just add new weather/time header
			set myRecord to item 1 of myRecords
		end if

set theContent to plain text of myRecord
		set plain text of myRecord to theContent & return & return & "## " & theTime & return & "- "

open tab for record myRecord
	on error errMsg number errNum
		display alert (localized string "An error occured when adding the document.") & space & errMsg
	end try
end tell

-- Get a daily quote
on getQuote()
		try
			set myQuote to ""
				set getSource to download markup from "feed://zitate.net/zitate.rss?cfg=300010110"
			else
				set getSource to download markup from "feed://feeds.feedburner.com/quotationspage/qotd"
			end if
			set getFeed to get items of feed getSource
			if items of getFeed is not {} then
				set randItem to some item of getFeed
				set myQuote to description of randItem & return & "=    " & title of randItem & "    =" & return
			end if
		end try
		return myQuote
	end tell
end getQuote

--Get the news headlines
on getNews()
	set myNews to {}
		try
				set getNewsSource to download markup from "feed://rss.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/HomePage.xml"
			else
				set getNewsSource to download markup from "feed://feeds.a.dj.com/rss/WSJcomUSBusiness.xml"
			end if
			set getNewsFeed to items 1 thru numHeadlines of (get items of feed getNewsSource)
			repeat with theItems in getNewsFeed
				set end of myNews to title of theItems
				set end of myNews to link of theItems
			end repeat
		end try
		return myNews
	end tell
end getNews

Go into ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Templates.noindex, compress the template you created, and post it here.

Thanks.

Thanks, @BLUEFROG, but I’m a bit confused about your suggestion for action. The modified template works fine when triggered manually. The bit I’m struggling with is how can a trigger this template (or its embedded script) via a Reminder. My issue would be the same if I were using the default script provided by DT3.

@BLUEFROG Here’s the compressed file.Daily Journal — Markdown.templatescriptd.zip (20.6 KB)

Thanks!

Hi @BLUEFROG. Did you have any suggestions on automating this journal entry creation process? :slight_smile:

Quit DEVONthink. Unzip the attached AppleScript, put it in ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies/think3/Reminders. Then set a Reminder alarm using a External to hakop

JournalTest.scpt.zip (14.0 KB)

Thank you very much! I’ve already tested it and Reminders called the script successfully. I amended the script to preserve the use of DT3 location from the original script rather than creating a different group structure for each new journal record. It seems to work in the same fashion now in creating the cascading group structure as the original template script. I attach it here if it is of any interest.

Create Daily Markdown Journal Entry.scpt.zip (14.3 KB)

You’re welcome.

PS: The reason for the approach I took is the `import template’ AppleScript command doesn’t support importing smart templates.