Using "search operators" within a document

Pardon my ignorance, as I’m severely affected today …

How can I search within a given document for the exact reference that I’m looking for? For instance, if I have the DT3 manual open in DT3, and I want to find “contextual NEAR/1 menu”? Is there a way to do this from within the document itself using all of the various search operators, or do I need to do it from the Search field on the Toolbar?

Cheers!

Proximity operators are for toolbar searches, not in-document searches in the Search inspector.
However selected results can show the effects of the operators in the search pane (dependent on the file type).

Yep, that’s what I thought. I was hoping to be able to do it within the document, as opposed to going to the Toolbar. Just had to confirm what I already knew. :slight_smile:

Thanks as usual Jim.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

@BLUEFROG I was wondering if I might bounce a similar question off you? While I understand that - at least for now - we can’t use search operators when directly searching in PDF documents through the inspector (because of the usual PDFKit limitations), I’ve always been confused about how the toolbar search works with the inspector’s search window.

More specifically, in the example in your screenshot above, if you were to search using the inspector inside of the document you’re displaying in the preview pane - and let’s assume it’s a PDF for this hypothetical - for the terms “create smart group” (no quotation marks - as shown in your inspector), I suspect that you would not get any search results because of PDFKit’s limitations. I understand that I can’t use search operators in the document search, but is there a way to even search for three non-consecutive words - such as, create smart group - without PDFKit assuming it’s a phrase, etc?

Or, perhaps a better question: Is there a way for me to perform a toolbar search in one document at a time? I often find myself wasting a ton of time searching for more than one word on a page, in a PDF that I already have open, because I have to run the search through the toolbar … and then I have to find the document in the search results, etc. etc.

Is there a more efficient way to approach this? I work with tons of long PDFs, and would really like to get better at searching in them.

As always, thanks for your help!

1 Like