Using TAB Key in Markdown Editor

Hi,

I really appreciate the improvements to the markdown editor implemented in DEVONThink. Another possibility that could be implemented is an improved behaviour of TAB in the markdown editor.

When using, for example, Google Docs (and some markdown editors!) and editing a numbered or itemized list, pressing TAB anywhere on the line moves the item one indent level deeper and SHIFT-TAB moves it back. This is super convenient, especially in conjunction with automatic creation of new items when pressing ENTER (which is already implemented.) Inserting a TAB inside an item is virtually never what one wants, and SHIFT-TAB does nothing at the moment.

I hope the desired behavior is clear. Otherwise, just try pressing TAB and SHIFT-TAB while editing an itemized list in Google Docs.

2 Likes

The request is noted.

2 Likes

This is implemented in 3.8.4. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

+1 – it’s great to have this!!

1 Like

This is very useful, but I’d like to request an enhancement. Currently (DT 3.9.4), this works when the cursor is on a single line. However, when multiple lines are selected, TAB still inserts a tab and SHIFT-TAB still does nothing. As in tomka’s original comments, this is almost never desirable behavior. I’d like to see all lines that have full or partial selection either indented or outdented in the same way that happens with a single line.

1 Like

This is planned for future releases.

1 Like