verification of database failed

Upgraded to 2.5 (never used beta). First attempt to sync between two Macs gave error, “verification of database failed”. Tried with both firewalls off and same result. Please advise.

Also, please verify that DevonThink on remote Mac must be running with database open.

Is there a way to designate folder on remote Mac? Where does the sync file go?

Using DevonThing Pro Office with OX 10.8.2

By design, Sync checks the database for errors before performing sync. If the Activity log reports that verification failed, the proper thing to do is to remove the errors from your database before trying Sync again.

I haven’t found any errors in my databases for a long time. Nevertheless I occasionally run Tools > Verify & Repair as a check, followed (if no errors are found) by Tools > Backup & Optimize (which can be beneficial to performance after adding lots of content, and ensures that an internal Backup of an error-free state of the database exists).

DEVONthink provides Tools > Restore Backup or Tools > Rebuild database to do that. Or replace the existing copy of the database with an error-free backup from, e.g., Time Machine or a Database Archive.

Please read the Sync instructions carefully. When you initiate Sync, a Store containing database files (but not the database itself) is created in a location of your choice. If, for example, you wish to use Dropbox as the vehicle for sync you would choose the Dropbox folder in which to save the Store.

I too have verification problems with the sync and they continue after repairing the database. After having problems with the first database I made sure that the second database didn’t have sync problems before setting up dropbox sync. Initially everything seemed fine. No errors after the first sync. No errors after the second sync. I checked ‘sync when opening the data base’ and ‘sync when closing the database,’ closed the database, reopened it and got a verification error. I repaired the database, synced it manually, verified whether it was okee (it was), closed the database, reopened it, and yes, a verification error. I repaired the database, synced it manually, verified the database (no problems), unchecked both sync on open and sync on close. Closed the database, reopened it. Again a verification error. :cry:

Where do I find them?

Thanks for the suggestion to read the instructions. I read all the instructions I could find and even watched the video before trying the first sync. There was nothing about how to make the first sync.

I did find errors in the files on both computer. After correcting the errors on both computer I tried sync again and this time the program said I was syncing the same file and proceeded to merge them. Lucky for me I had enough sense to try this new feature with a small database.

(1) Please post a link to the instructions you are referring to: how to make the initial sync.

(2) I have a file structure, identical on both computers where I keep my databases. I load them into the program from these folders. When I do a sync where will the new synced file end up?

(3) Must DevonThink Pro be open on both Macs for a sync to occur?

(4) Must the database that is being synced also be open before a sync is done? These things appear to be necessary but I could find no specific instructions on this.

I have the same problem.
all my databases were syncing perfectly with the beta, now i installed 2.5 I’m getting verification of database failed…
I’m using direct connection sync
they are both on the same network, using same port
i have run verify and repair on all the databases
i have deleted all connections and reconnected (using pin number)
i’ve connetced and tried both ways from each mac
and…
…still problem persists
i’ve checked the manual and don’t see where the location of any file may be that I need to delete
help?
Joe Lafferty

Please try the Sync operation again AFTER following these instructions…

To enable logging, type the following in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and restart DEVONthink:

defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebug -bool YES
defaults write com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2 DTSyncDebugHigh -bool YES

This will log more detail to your system log, which can be viewed in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

After you’ve attempted the Sync, open Console, type “DEVONthink” in the filter field in the upper right-hand corner, and copy and paste ALL of the window’s contents into a new text document. Then start a Support Ticket at our DEVONtechnologies Support Ticket System and attach the document. Thank you.

thanks BLUEFROG!
just posted my support ticket…
…do i need to change anything in terminal to stop verbose logging?
thanks,
Joe

If you’d like you can run the same Terminal commands with NO instead of YES. Cheers! 8^)

thanks! run in reverse.
Joe