Very slow performance with the archived email DB loaded (110,000 messages), to be expected?

Hi all

this is just to confirm what i think is normal. When i have my archived email DB loaded (~ 110,000 messages),performance is very slow with things lagging a lot. I assume thats to be expected?

if so what approaches do people use to encounter this? load the DB only when you need to search mail and then close it? Other approaches?

thx

Z

I’m a new user too, but could you include the number of words from the database property window? You can get it by right clicking on the database.

I have what is is probably an obscenely large database that I am putting my e-book library into. 76 million words is way bigger than the 12 million that I have heard thrown around as a general upper limit figure. But I also am running a Mac mini with 16 gigs of RAM which seems to make things chug along at a decent pace, though I will break this database into smaller ones in the future most likely as I tag and sort things.

How much RAM do you have on what kind of machine?

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.38.04 PM

have a maxed out new MBP with 32GB of ram so that’s not the issue i think :slightly_smiling_face:

thx

Z

What other databases are open?

hmm i have 5-6 other open databases but they are very small

note size diff :slightly_smiling_face:

What kind of actions are actually slow and what’s visible in the window (e.g. which view, which inspector etc.)?

hi @cgrunenberg

well any action i do results in the mac spinning circle… selecting the inbox, selecting a note etc all results in a few second delay and a spinning circle

i can send a video screencast to show if needed

this behavior is fixed when i close the mail data base

happy to help debug this (if this isn’t normal :slightly_smiling_face:)

Z

A screenshot of the window would be useful. In addition, please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select DEVONthink 3 in the list of processes, choose the menu item View > Sample Process while DEVONthink is beach-balling and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com. Thanks in advance!

thx @cgrunenberg

here is the screenshot of the spinning circle when i choose the inbox

also sent the sample process to the email you requested

best

Z

Thanks! A full screenshot of the complete window would be more useful though.