Video Chapters not appearing in DevonThink

We don’t announce release dates usually.

I see this feature in the latest version, thanks

1 Like

Hi,
I did find one issue with the Chapters showing in Table of Contents. When I select a Chapter for the first time, the video navigates to the Chapter location and the chapter shows selected in the Table of Contents. Now if a few seconds have elapsed and I want to get back to the previously selected chapter location, clicking it again does nothing. It only works if I change to a different chapter and switch back to it which is not very convenient as is several of my smaller videos I only have a single chapter.

Can you kindly look into this?

Thanks

The URL of a video having chapters would be great for testing, thanks.

Interesting table of contents from this URL with chapters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Fo_M_tj6w&t=2s

And one without chapters but picking up headers, etc. in the TOC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJy2q27hVk

A link to a video file, not to a web page - there’s no support for YouTube :slight_smile:

I posted a video with chapters here: Video Chapters not appearing in DevonThink - #5 by sjivan

Here’s the behavior when I import in into DT 3.8.5. As you can see clicking on a previously selected chapter doesn’t take it to the chapter start.

Support for navigating to Chapter locations for Youtube too would be super cool :slight_smile: but for now I need it for local videos

It would be really really awesome if DT allowed new Chapters to be added to the video at the current play position. Much cleaner and portable than Annotations linking to a frame. My current workflow is to open the file in a tool that adds a new Chapter. DT does great picking up the change immediately but it requires me to navigate to the desired position in the external too to add the chapter. If DT could do this it would be so much nicer.

No such plans right now as it’s the only request ever but maybe some day.

just to note, with the current more general turn this discussion is taking, it is really fusing w/ my parallel insertion in another thread – actually prompted by @sjivan more specific initial question:

maybe they can be fused. otherwise just to leave a trace, for everyone interested in the general aspects of this.
obviously I support @sjivan general impulse here. though I am myself not sure I would trade ‘chapters’ against (timebased) annotations. but I feel all this just expresses the need to find some generalized / shared / documented approach for this, as the issue / affordance of video references is by now very fundamental in all modern (transmediated) research!

I don’t think a lot of users are aware of this cool new feature that was recently added where native video Chapters appear in the Table of Contents. I’m optimistic if a poll is taken about wanting a feature to add native chapters to a video from the Table Of Contents view a lot of users would want it :slight_smile:

My current workflow is to open the file in a tool that adds a new Chapter.

What tool?

Doesn’t look like my previous video attachment is playing. Here is the link again

https://share.cleanshot.com/9JaF7b

The tool is mChapters.

yeah, that is an interesting one.

there is (for Macs) btw also: MetaDoctor and ChapterWork SX. the latter of which which seems most interesting because it claims (or seems to) to allow chapterization that is also compatible with YouTube and Vimeo uploads… just to mention.

The next release will support this too.

Great, thanks!

just to add:
in my own tests, the results in the TOC from YouTube-Online video are also erratic, as @Bluefrog has mentioned here. but sometimes I do find the right chapter-titles in the TOC – just ‘burrried’ with these other links, as Bluefrog has shown.

It would be great though, if at some point there are resources to tap into this, and get ‘clean’ chapters as TOCs. and – as it is already text information – also make this searchable, or otherwise usable.
The same goes for vimeo – which in some respects is the more ‘serious’ source for such chapterized videos (if, obviously not as huge a pool as YouTube).

So, just to encourage keeping this on the radar, as there are more and more use cases, and surely now chapters are a more elemental part of YT-search, vimeo added chapters etc. the potential and availability of such online video chapters will only grow and grow.

Confirmed this is now working with the latest release. Thanks!

Now if only ability to add chapters to the current location in the video is supported I was be doing backflips with happiness :slight_smile:

I hope you consider it.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the update here. I was not aware that navigating via chapter marker had become available and can confirm it works great.

I really appreciate this feature @cgrunenberg @BLUEFROG!

For my needs it would add a lot of value if the chapter bookmarks were also indexed as part of the video item’s contents. So then search criteria such as “Content matches bookmark X” would find the video item.

1 Like